Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (50-63) nearly rallied in the bottom of the ninth inning but fell short as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders (65-47) won 4-2. The Pigs had two runners on base with the game-winning batter (Cornelius Randolph) at the plate.
Estevan Florial hit a lead-off home run against Colton Eastman in the top of the first inning to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 1-0 lead. The home run occurred on the third pitch of the game, and it was Florial's 11th of the season. The Pigs answered with two runs against JP Sears (4-0) in the bottom of the second inning as Randolph hit a two-run single to give them a 2-1 lead.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre took a 3-2 lead in the top of the fourth inning. Donny Sands hit an RBI double that scored Chris Gittens and Armando Alvarez hit an RBI single that scored Sands. Andrew Velasquez extended the lead for the RailRiders to 4-2 in the top of the fifth inning when he hit an RBI single that scored Jonathan Davis. Eastman left the game without recording an out in the inning.
Damon Jones pitched two scoreless innings in relief for Lehigh Valley. Braeden Ogle, Mike Adams, and Zach McAllister all followed with scoreless innings of relief.
Sears struck out 10 batters, which was the second highest strikeout total by any RailRiders pitcher this season. Matt Krook struck out 11 batters on August 8. Domingo German pitched two scoreless innings in relief for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Ron Marinaccio earned his first save of the season by closing out the bottom of the ninth inning.
The Pigs and RailRiders play on Wednesday night at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2021 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.