Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win
The Norfolk Tides win over the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp after a spectacular performance from catcher Adley Rutschman. The Tides won 7-2 in the series opener after Rutschman finished the game hitting 2-for-4, with a run, two RBI, and a strikeout. Rutschman was one of the three Tides batters to finish with two RBI.
Six batters reached safely in the first inning before an out was even recorded for the Tides. The Tides had a four-run inning, after they loaded the bases three times. Rylan Bannon led off with a hard hit single and was brought in after Rutschman's triple. Three consecutive walks and a wild pitch scored another run for the Tides as they continued to put ruins on the board. J.C. Escarra hit a two-run single for the Tides' last score of the inning. The Tides went up 4-0 in the 1st inning, after ten batters came up to bat, recording three hits and four walks.
The Jumbo Shrimp responded immediately hitting two home runs in the second inning. Payton Henry, the first batter in the inning, hit the first one to left field. Justin Twine hit the second home run on the first pitch of his at bat. This was Henry's fourth and Twine's fifth home run of the year for the Jumbo Shrimp. They cut into the Tides lead, down only 4-2.
After having three hits in the first inning, the Tides were held hitless through five innings. They added three more in the sixth inning. The Tides had to work off two outs after two quick groundouts to start the inning. Brett Cumberland walked and Mason McCoy homered to add two runs. Bannon came up to bat and walked, he then stole second base to put himself in scoring position. A single by Rutschman scored Bannon as the Tides went up 7-2 over the Jumbo Shrimp.
Rutschman's RBI triple in the first inning was his first in Triple-A. Each of his hits in the game resulted in an RBI. He has 12 extra-base hits this year with the Tides: eight doubles, one triple, and three home runs. Rutschman has six RBI in his last 10 games. He has the best batting average on the team with a .330 (34-for-103) during the 29 games played with the Tides.
This was Tides starter Kevin Smith's third time this year seeing the Jumbo Shrimp. He got a winning and a losing decision in those games, allowing for this game to break even. He walked four, struck out six, allowed five hits and two home runs in 4.0 innings. He has 3.64 ERA against the Jumbo Shrimp, with 16 strikeouts and 12 walks.
The Tides won the game after a four-run first inning and a three-run sixth inning to go up 7-2 over the Jumbo Shrimp. The Tides held the Jumbo Shrimp to just two runs all game, with those being home runs. The Tides' next game of the series will be on September 15 at Harbor Park, the start time will be at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.