Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss
GWINNETT, Ga. - The Nashville Sounds jumped out to a 3-0 lead but couldn't hang on and suffered a 6-5 loss to the Gwinnett Stripers on Tuesday night at Coolray Field.
Catcher Christian Kelley delivered a clutch bases-clearing double in the top of the second inning to give the Sounds a 3-0 lead. Kelley's double down the left field line plated David Dahl, Tim Lopes and Keon Broxton and gave starter Josh Lindblom early some breathing room.
Gwinnett didn't waste any time answering as Ryan Goins drilled a solo blast off Lindblom to trim the deficit to 3-1 in the bottom of the second. A ground-rule RBI double by Jason Kipnis made it a 3-2 game in the third and Johan Camargo immediately followed Kipnis with a run-scoring base hit of his own to even the game at 3-3.
After Lindblom turned in a 1-2-3 bottom of the fourth, the hitters picked him up and regained the lead. Matt Lipka started the top of the fifth with a perfect bunt single. Brice Turang followed with a double to put runners at second and third with nobody out, and Jamie Westbrook knocked in Lipka with the go-ahead run on a sacrifice fly.
The 4-3 lead didn't last long as the Stripers answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning. Kipnis was at it again when he launched a two-run homer off Lindblom to give Gwinnett a 5-4 lead. They added a run in the seventh on Camargo's RBI triple.
Nashville looked to be in prime position to even the game in the top of the ninth, but the rally was thwarted by an untimely double play. David Fry's one-out, RBI single cut the deficit to 6-5 and put runners at the corners. The comeback wasn't to be as Gwinnett reliever Brooks Wilson got Lipka to bounce into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Game two of the six-game series is scheduled for Wednesday night at Coolray Field. Right-hander Colin Rea (2-2, 3.04) starts for Nashville against right-hander Bryce Elder (2-1, 2.78) for Gwinnett. The first pitch is scheduled for 6:05 central time.
The Sounds are now 10-10 in series openers.
David Dahl extended his hitting streak to nine games...he's hitting .324 (11-for-34) with 5 runs, 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 5 RBI during the streak.
Christian Kelley doubled in the second inning to extend his on-base streak to 15 games...Kelley's 3 RBI matched a season-high (also 6/10 vs. Indianapolis).
Nashville and Gwinnett have played 25 games in 2021 and 16 have been decided by two or less runs.
The Nashville Sounds are the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers and play at First Horizon Park. Single-game tickets are on sale now for all remaining 2021 home games. For more information call 615-690-4487 or e-mail email@example.com.--
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds' 2021 Holiday Bundle on Sale Now
- Nashville Sounds Announce Game Times for 2022 Home Schedule
- Bacon Eggs & Kegs Event at First Horizon Park Postponed
- Luke Barker Named to Triple-A East All-Star Team
- Pablo Reyes' Grand Slam Leads Sounds over Indians