Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2
CHARLOTTE, NC - Bulls catcher Brett Sullivan homered and drove in two runs, left fielder Ryan Boldt bashed a game-high three hits while starting pitcher Ian Seymour fired five scoreless frames as Durham defeated the Charlotte Knights 6-2 to the Southeast Division crown on Tuesday evening at Truist Field.
The win guarantees the Bulls the Southeast Division title, marking the 15th time the franchise has won their division in their 23 seasons at the Triple-A level. Durham also remains 2.5 games ahead of Buffalo for the best record in the Triple-A East circuit with five games remaining. The 2021 version of the Triple-A postseason, titled the Triple-A Final Stretch, will feature all 30 squads playing ten games to complete the season and begin on Wednesday, September 22.
1B Dalton Kelly got the scoring started for the Bulls with an RBI double off the right-center field wall in the opening frame, before two more tallies came across in the second, including a run-scoring knock from SS Vidal Brujan, to make it 3-0. That advantage would increase to five in the sixth courtesy of Sullivan's two-run shot. RF Josh Lowe's RBI double to left plated Boldt to extend the lead to 6-0, however Charlotte would end Durham's shutout hopes in the ninth.
Seymour (5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K) earned his first Triple-A victory with five scoreless innings, and has not yielded an earned run over his first ten frames since joining Durham from High-A Bowling Green last week. Bulls relievers Colby White (1.0 IP, 2 H, K) and Brian Moran (2.0 IP, 4 K) combined for three shutout innings of support, while Knights righty Alex McRae (3.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K) suffered the defeat.
Durham is set to continue their six-game road series in Charlotte on Wednesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 7:04pm. RHP Tommy Romero is slated to start for the Bulls and be opposed by Knights LHP Kyle Kubat.
The Bulls return to Durham for their final homestand of the 2021 campaign on Wednesday, September 22 to start a five-game set versus the Gwinnett Stripers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves. First pitch of the series opener is set for 6:35pm. Tickets for that game, as well as all remaining Bulls home games are available and can be purchased at DurhamBulls.com.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- Early Tides Onslaught Sinks Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Opener to Bulls 6-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Clinch Southeast Division, Beat Knights 6-2 - Durham Bulls
- Bats lose their bite in 4-2 loss - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Six-Run Second Bests Indians - Indianapolis Indians
- Big Innings Push the Tides Past Jacksonville in Win - Norfolk Tides
- Early Lead Not Enough in Sounds' Loss - Nashville Sounds
- Saints Offensive Onslaught Continues with 13-4 Thrashing of Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Fall to Red Sox, 5-4, in Series Opener as Teams Combine for Five Homers on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Mud Hens Fall to Clippers in Rain-Shortened Opener - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wong Hits Two Homers, Game-Winner in Comeback Win over Mets - Worcester Red Sox
- Wings Drop Series Opener to Bisons, 5-4, Tuesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Defeat Rochester 5-4, Magic Number for Division Now 2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pitch, Hit & Run Set for Saturday, September 18 at Johnnie B. Wiley Sports Pavilion - Buffalo Bisons
- September 14 Game Notes: Iowa at Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 14, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (54-59) vs. St. Paul Saints (58-56) - Indianapolis Indians
- Germán Commences MLB Rehab Assignment with RailRiders - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 14, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Collins Recalled, Zavala & Mendick Return - Charlotte Knights
- Memphis Redbirds Team up with Memphis Grizzlies to Host Grizzlies Night at AutoZone Park this Friday - Memphis Redbirds
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Tuesday, September 14-Sunday, September 19 - Rochester Red Wings
- Syracuse Mets Homestand Highlights: September 14th-September 19th - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.