Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder defeated the Arizona Sundogs 6-3 at the INTRUST Bank Arena on Saturday night.
Matt Robinson scored two goals while Aaron Davis and Lance Galbraith each had three points. The Thunder, who has won six of their last nine games, took three of four on their homestand heading into Monday's game at Quad City.
With the Thunder keading 3-2 in the third, Robinson scored his second of the night at 7:28, slipping the puck through the five-hole of Sundogs' goaltender Doug Groenestege. Mark Kolanos trimmed the lead to 4-3 at 13:33, but Jesse Bennefield scored 1:12 later on a shot from the top of the left circle. Davis potted the Thunder's first shorthanded goal of the year at 16:21 to seal the game. Davis worked through the slot on a breakaway and beat Groenestege with a backhand move under his left pad.
Robinson scored the first of the night at 9:07 in the first period, finishing off a rebound setup by A.J. Gale. Bobby Hughes made it 2-0 during a Thunder power play at the 10:47 mark. Groenestege sticked Galbraith's wrap around attempt into the right circle where Hughes buried it under the crossbar. Joey Sides scored from in front of the crease off a deflection in the right corner at 14:58 to cut Wichita's lead in half.
Galbraith increased the lead to 3-1 at 3:12 in the second, rocketing a shot past the right of Groenestege from just inside the point. Jamie Vanderveeken pulled Arizona within one with a shorthanded goal at 13:24.
Marc-Antoine Gelinas earned the win, saving 33 of 36. Groenestege took the loss, saving 25 of 31. Wichita was 1 for 5 on the power play and a perfect 7 for 7 on the penalty kill.
The Thunder heads to Quad City on Monday to face the Mallards at 7:05 p.m. All the action can be heard locally on Sports Radio 1550 KKLE and worldwide at www.kleyam.com The Thunder returns home on Saturday, January 22nd when they host the Missouri Mavericks at 7:05 p.m. For tickets, call the arena box office at (316) 755-SEAT or visit the Thunder's official website at www.wichitathunder.com
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.