Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen
EVANSVILLE, IN --- Two late goals from forward R.G. Flath led the Mississippi RiverKings to a 4-3 victory over the Evansville IceMen on Saturday, January 15th in Evansville. Matt Summers also scored a pair of goals in the RiverKings' 18th victory of the season and second straight on the current road trip.
There was no scoring in the first period, although the IceMen held a 10-4 advantage in shots on goal.
Mississippi took a 2-1 lead in the second period on goals from Summers and Nathan Lutz. Summers opened the scoring on a power play goal at 10:43, his 13th goal of the season and ninth power play goal for the year. Evansville tied it up on a power play goal from Brian Bicek at 17:14, but Lutz gave the RiverKings the 2-1 intermission advantage in the final seconds of the period on a goal with 37 seconds remaining in the period. Mississippi outshot the IceMen 12-11 for the period.
In the third period, Summers scored his second of the game, his 14th of the year at 1:25 for a 3-1 RiverKings lead. But Damian Surma quickly made it 3-2 on his 19th red-lighter of the year at 2:19. Bicek tied the game at 3-3 with less than five minutes remaining with his 16th of the season, but that's when Flath went to work in the final minutes. His first goal came at 17:19, the eventual game-winning goal and ninth the season. The final one was an empty net goal with 37 seconds remaining for the final score.
Mississippi scored twice in four power play chances, while Evansville was 1-for-4 on the power play.
The RiverKings were outshot for the game 34-25. Goaltender Alexander Pechurskiy won his ninth of the season (9-7-0) with a 31-save performance, while Matt Lundin lost his 13th of the year (8-13-4) withh a 20-save effort.
With the victory, the RiverKings have now won two straight games and are 18-17-1 for the season. Evansville fell for the 20th time, now 12-20-5 for the year.
Next action for the RiverKings will be tomorrow afternoon in a 4 PM (Central time) game at Fort Wayne. Broadcast coverage will be available on Sports 56, WHBQ-AM and www.sports56whbq.com at 3:45 PM. Fans can also watch the game on CHL-TV through the "Watch Live button on the home page at www.riverkings.com.
Next home action for the RiverKings will be on Tuesday, January 18th, against the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs at the DeSoto Civic Center. Game time is 7:05 PM and Hockey For Humanity is the night's featured non-profit MVP.
Fans who purchase their tickets through www.ticketmaster.com can take advantage of a Tuesday internet-only special. That's two Red Level seats, two hot-dogs, and two 32-ounce fountain drinks, all for just $26.00, which is a savings of $22.00. Or, get two Gold Level tickets, two hot-dogs and two fountain soft drinks for $36.00, also a savings of $22.00.
This special is good for every remaining Tuesday or Thursday night home game for the rest of the regular seaon when tickets are purchased through Ticketmaster.com only.
For more information, call the RiverKings at 662-342-1755 or go online to www.riverkings.com today!
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.