Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller
LOVELAND, CO - Daymen Rycroft's goal in the fourth round of the shootout closed out a 3-2 win for the Colorado Eagles over the Odessa Jackalopes on Saturday night in front of a sold out crowd at the Budweiser Events Center. Despite the loss, the Jackalopes picked up a point in the standings to pull within three of the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs for second place in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference.
Aaron Schneekloth was credited with the game-winning goal after scoring in round two of the shootout. Kevin Ulanski and Riley Nelson also scored for the Eagles (19-12-2). Dominic Leveille was the Jacks only scorer in the extra session.
Colorado forced overtime when Matt Glasser scored on a rebound with just 1:40 remaining in the game. Nelson's shot from the right circle set up the chance. Glasser's heroics were needed after Odessa's (18-14-4) Mike Ramsay gave the Jackalopes a 2-1 lead with a slap shot from the right circle just over five minutes into the third period. Sebastien Thinel forced a turnover at the Eagles' blueline to pick up the assist.
After a scoreless first period the Jackalopes opened up the scoring with 5:11 remaining in the middle frame as Dominic Leveille banked a shot from the right-wing corner off the back of Colorado goaltender Kyle Jones. The Eagles tied the game four minutes later as Rycroft's shot deflected off an Odessa stick and in the net to knot the game.
The Jacks took three of a possible four points for the Eagles over the weekend and improved to 6-0-2 in their last eight games - earning points in the standings in each of those contests.
Thinel finished the game with two assists for the Jackalopes to extend his point streak to nine games and give him 20 multi-point games this season. His league-leading total now sits at 63 points.
Odessa finishes up its annual "Rodeo Road Trip" next week in Arizona with three games against the Sundogs. The first contest will be on Wednesday at 8:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.