Gems fall to Quad City
It was a back and forth battle on Saturday night, but the Dayton Gems came out on the wrong end of a 3-2 game against Quad City.
Despite being outshot 39-28 for the evening, the Gems were able to hold their ground for most of the game.
Dayton started the scoring off for the evening. Kyle Bochek scored the first goal of the night midway through the first period to give Dayton an early 1-0 lead. Nick Canzanello and Erik Boisvert each recorded an assist on the goal.
The Gems were only able to hold the lead for a short while. Just two minutes after Bochek's goal, Quad City's Mike McLean tied the game up at 1-1 with a shorthanded goal.
The Mallards were then able to take the lead in the second period. Darren McMillian slipped a shot in to give Quad City a 2-1 advantage.
Matthew Larke was then able to tie the game up at 2-2 by scoring a powerplay goal for the Gems late in the second period. Greg Labenski and Bochek each assisted Larke on the game tying goal.
In the end, it was Quad City who would prevail. Tyler Townsend scored the go-ahead goal for the Mallards, as Quad City went on to win 3-2.
Dayton (17-14-3) will have a day of rest before taking on Missouri on Monday afternoon in Dayton. The action will start at 3 p.m. at Hara Arena.
The Kettering Medical Center is proud to be the official title sponsor of the Gems for the 2010-11 season.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"