Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems hit the ice for one final time in their 2011-2012 season to conclude the weekend three game series with first place Fort Wayne Komets inside the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Faceoff is set for 5pm.
Most recently, the Gems battled to an intense finish on their final home game of the season, but wouldn't be able to put it away in overtime, falling 2-1 to the first place Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday night inside the historic Hara Arena. Scoring for the Gems was Kyle Bochek.
Gameday In Fort Wayne
The Gems and Komets meet for the fourteenth and final time this season. Sunday afternoon's matinee concludes a three-in-three series between the two clubs, and finishes the Dayton Gems season. Fort Wayne's win on Saturday kept them one point ahead of Evansville for top spot in the Turner Conference playoff race.
The Gems skate into Fort Wayne for a final time, looking to snap their two game winless streak against the Komets and finish the season in the win column. Dayton has played to a 4-7-2 record this season against the Komets, with their last win against the Komets in Fort Wayne back on January 6.
The Komets (39-19-7) continue their Turner Conference dogfight as the regular season draws near it's completion, as the Komets remain just one point ahead of Evansville at the top of the conference's playoff picture. Fort Wayne concludes their regular season at home on Sunday afternoon, before preparing for their second consecutive CHL playoff appearance.
Dayton Gems Game Notes
Player of the Week - Dayton's Nic Polaksi was named CHL Player of the Week for his four point performance in Sunday's 9-1 win over Laredo.
Trainer of the Year - Dayton's Bryan Rogers was named the CHL's Athletic Trainer of the Year for 2012.
Jammed It for Jimmy - The Gems thawed the IceMen 4-3 in front of a season high crowd of 5,187 inside Hara Arena on Saturday, January 28. Portions of the ticket proceeds went to local teen cancer patient Jimmy Jenks, who dropped the ceremonial first puck.
Sign of the Times - February 25th's win over the Sundogs opened with a unique performance of the National Anthem by Fairborn middle school students, who "signed" the anthem in sign language.
Man of the Year - Gems captain Greg Labenski was named a finalist for the CHL's prestigious "Man of the Year" award.
Stellar Sterling - veteran netminder Larry Sterling continues to battle near the top of the CHL stat chart, maintaining the CHL's 2nd best save percentage of .924.
All Star Lutes - Brett Lutes represented the Gem City as the lone Gems player participating in the 2012 All Star Game. Lutes would earn two assists and a +5 rating to help his CHL All Star team beat the CHL's Arizona Sundogs 6-4.
The Closer - Dayton's Tim Hartung sits tied for most Game Winning Goals by a defenseman with 4, while leading the CHL's blueliners in Shootout Goals with 7. He was named CHL "Best shootout player" in 2012.
Powerplay Master - Brandon Naurato is tied for third in the CHL for most powerplay goals with 10.
Tune Into The Game Live!
Fans can cheer on their Gems by tuning into wave96.net or CHL TV starting at 5:00pm eastern time, with Gems broadcaster JT Szabo handling the play-by-play. Fans can also stream the game live from their smartphones through wave96.net and the free TuneIN radio app.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2012
- Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Playoff Schedules Announced - CHL
- Rush Announce Turner Conference Semi-Finals Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Americans Close Regular Season with 3-1 Win Over Thunder - Allen Americans
- Todd Robinson Wins Joe Burton Scoring Award - CHL
- Killer Bees Cap Regular Season with 7-2 Rout of Laredo - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bucks Lose 7-2 to Bees in Regular Season Finale - Laredo Bucks
- Mavericks to Face Evansville in Opening Round of Playoffs - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wichita Loses 3-1 to Allen to Finish Regular Season - Wichita Thunder
- Fort Wayne Claims Turner Conference Regular Season Championship - CHL
- Mavericks Outlast Oilers in Season Finale, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday - Dayton Gems
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today - Dayton Gems
- Rush Conclude 2011-12 Regular Season with 3-2 Loss in Arizona - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Close Season with 3-2 Win Over Rapid City - Arizona Sundogs
- Americans Hand Brahmas Their 6th Straight Loss 3-2 - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"