Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
Dayton, OH - The Dayton Gems battled to anintensefinish on their final home game of the season, but wouldn't be able to put it away in overtime, falling 2-1 to the first place Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday night inside the historic Hara Arena. Scoring for the Gems was Kyle Bochek.
The Fort Wayne Komets pulled out a 2-1 (OT) overtime victory over the Dayton Gems on a clutch goal by Chris Auger.
Fort Wayne was led by goalie Nick Boucher, who finished with 29 saves while allowing one goal. The solid play of Boucher will be reflected in his goals against average, which pre-game was 2.45.
The Komets were led by Auger, who had one goal. Auger scored 3:40 into overtime to make the score 2-1 Fort Wayne. Leo Thomas provided the assist.
Fort Wayne kept Dayton's goalie busy throughout the game, and Dan Dunn made 32 saves on 34 shots.
Frankie DeAngelis also scored for Fort Wayne. In addition, Fort Wayne received assists from Brett Smith and Colin Chaulk, who each chipped in one.
The Gems racked up the penalties in the contest, and ended with eight minors and two majors for 26 minutes in penalty time. The total exceeded the 15.0 minutes per game Dayton had been spending in the box.
The Gems were led by Kyle Bochek, who scored the team's only goal. Bochek scored 5:39 into the first period to make the score 1-0 Dayton.
The Komets totaled 39 minutes in penalty time with two minors and three majors and went 1-for-5 on the power play. For Fort Wayne, Brent Henley was ejected from the game after being assessed a Match Penalty for kneeing in the second period. Dayton registered zero goals on one power play opportunities.
With the loss, the Gems record slides to 23-29-13 with the team finishing their 2011-2012 season on the road in a rematch against the Komets inside the Veterans Memorial Coliseum at 5pm.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2012
- Mavs Win Wild One Over Tulsa, 5-4 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thunder Lose Regular Season Home Finale 3-1 to IceMen - Wichita Thunder
- Short-Handed Bucks Stung by Bees - Laredo Bucks
- Bees Punch Post-Season Ticket; Beat Laredo 8-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Blaze Drop Season Finale to Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night - Dayton Gems
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspensions - CHL
- John Murray Returns to Killer Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night" - Dayton Gems
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"