Mallards grab fourth straight win
MOLINE, IL - Tyler Townsend scored what proved to be the game winning goal just under four minutes into the third period and Darren McMillan provided a goal and an assist as the host Quad City Mallards defeated the Dayton Gems 3-2 Saturday night. The Mallards' win- the Flock's fourth in a row- combined with the Rapid City Rush's loss to the Missouri Mavericks Saturday evening to propel Quad City into sole possession of first place in the Central Hockey League's Turner Conference.
Townsend swept in a rebound to snap a 2-2 deadlock and the Mallards protected the lead rest of the way- even after the Gems pulled goaltender Jeff Jakaitis for an extra attacker with just less than two minutes remaining.
Quad City and Dayton swapped single goals in each of the first two periods. The Gems opened the scoring at 9:31 of the first period with Kyle Bochek's one timer from the high slot. Mike McLean's shorthanded breakaway goal would even the score at one just under two minutes later.
Darren McMillan's drive from the right point at 5:46 of the second period broke the tie and gave the Mallards their first lead of the night, but the Gems' Matthew Larke would knot the game at two when he buried a power play goal from the right wing circle at 17:17 of the second.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings