Brown Returns, Marino Activated
MOLINE, Ill. (January 15, 2011) - The Quad City Mallards of the "AA" Central Hockey League today announced that goaltender David Brown has returned to the Mallards from the American Hockey League's Houston Aeros and that winger Brandon Marino has been activated from injured reserve while goaltender Jerad Kaufmann has been placed on 14-day goaltender injured reserve and right wing Tyler Shelast has been moved from 10-day to 30-day I.R.
Brown, 25, last night served as the Aeros' backup goaltender- without seeing any action- in Houston's 4-3 shootout win over the Wolves in Chicago after yesterday signing a professional tryout contract with the Aeros.
Brown leads the CHL in shutouts (3), ranks third in save percentage (.923) and ranks fourth in goals against average (2.59). The Stoney Creek, Ontario, native has gone 9-10-0 in 21 games this year.
The 6' 0", 185-pound Brown has now suited up in the AHL twice this season. Brown also acted as a backup netminder for the Texas Stars in the Stars' December 8 game against the IceHogs in Rockford.
Brown earlier in his career spent parts of two seasons in the AHL with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. As a rookie in 2007-08, he went 9-7-1 in 19 AHL games while turning in a 2.34 goals against average and a .913 save percentage. The following year Brown went 1-2-0 in four games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Brown was originally selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the eighth round of the 2004 National Hockey League Entry Draft with the two hundred twenty-eighth overall pick.
Marino, 24, returns to the lineup after missing eight games with a hand injury he originally suffered in the Mallards' December 23 game at Missouri. The Riverside, California, product played one additional game- on December 27 against Bloomington- before being placed on I.R.
The 5' 9", 185-pound Marino has scored three goals and totaled 17 points in 27 games this season.
A lower body injury sidelines Kaufmann, who won each of the two starts he made after rejoining the Mallards- for whom he also tended goal last season- on December 27. The 26-year old Roseville, Minnesota, native posted a 3.01 goals against average and a .908 save percentage while backstopping the Mallards to that pair of victories.
Shelast, 26, has been out since suffering a lower body injury in the December 23 game and his shift to 30-day I.R. is retroactive to that date. The Kelowna, British Columbia, product has scored seven goals and notched 18 points in 25 games this season.
The Mallards return to action at home tonight at 7:05 p.m. against the Dayton Gems. The first 1,000 fans ages 12 and under through the doors of the i wireless Center for tonight's game will receive free white replica Mallards youth jerseys courtesy of Q106, i wireless and the Dispatch Argus. After the game fans are invited to join the Mallards at a post-game party at Van's Pizza, Pub & Grill. Van's is located at 3333 N. Harrison Street in Davenport.
Tickets for tonight's game- and all Mallards regular season home games- are available in person at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days other than Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until the end of the first period. On Sundays on which the Mallards play at home, the ticket office is open from 1:00 p.m. until the end of the first period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2011
- Jacks Fall to Eagles in a Shootout Thriller - Odessa Jackalopes
- Eagles Jump Up in Standings With Shootout Win Over Odessa - Colorado Eagles
- Brahmas Sting Killer Bees - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shorthanded Bugs Suffer First Loss to Tulsa Since '08 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Third period surge, outstanding goaltending vault Mavs into second place - Kansas City Mavericks
- Summers, Flath Lead RiverKings Past IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- Americans dismantle Bucks 7-3 - Allen Americans
- Thunder Rolls Past Sundogs, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Rally To Beat Bees 5-2 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems fall to Quad City - Dayton Gems
- Mallards grab fourth straight win - Quad City Mallards
- Robinson Scores Pair in Win Over Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- PrairieThunder Drop Third Straight 5-3 to Fort Wayne / Back Home on Sunday Afternoon - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Blitzed in Allen 7-3 - Laredo Bucks
- Killer Bees Acquire D-Man Dominic D'Amour from Mavs - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Mavericks Trade Dominic D'Amour, Place Oivier Filion on Suspension - Kansas City Mavericks
- Brown Returns, Marino Activated - Quad City Mallards
- New Players in PrairieThunder Lineup on Saturday - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks in Search of Third Straight Win - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings