River Cats take series from Bees despite dropping finale
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - The Sacramento River Cats (51-47) jumped out to an early 3-0 lead on Thursday but could not contain the Salt Lake Bees (42-56) offense, losing the series finale 9-6. The club will head to Tacoma tomorrow after taking three of five against the Bees.
Sacramento outfielder Joey Rickard gave the visiting River Cats the early lead with an RBI-single in the first inning. Rickard had a brilliant series, going 10-for-17 over the five game span. Steven Duggar added two hits and scored a run in the contest.
Right-hander Brandon Beachy was promoted from Double-A Richmond to make his first career start for the Sacramento River Cats Thursday night. The 32-year old tossed 5.1 innings, allowed seven runs (six earned) on seven hits while striking out four batters. The MLB-veteran has not pitched in the big leagues since 2015, following two Tommy John surgeries on his right elbow. He was 3-6 with a 5.60 ERA in 11 games with the Flying Squirrels before his promotion.
The River Cats took the lead at 5-4 in the sixth inning on a Levi Michael sac bunt, but the Bees scored five runs over the next three frames to put the game out of reach. Third baseman Zach Green did smack his 23rd homer of the season in the ninth, but was too little too late.
Sacramento will pack up and head to Tacoma for a three game series beginning tomorrow night. Left-hander Conner Menez (2-0, 3.82) is expected to get the nod for the River Cats, while the Rainiers will turn to lefty Sean Nolin (3-0, 2.45) for the series opener. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM (PT).
- Joey Rickard continues to tear up PCL pitching. He added three more hits against Salt Lake pitching and finished the series 10-17 including two doubles. Since joining the River Cats, Rickard is batting .412 with 13 extra base hits and 22 runs scored.
- The River Cats are on pace to surpass their team record for highest batting average in a season. The team best was set by the 2000 club that batted .285 on the year. The River Cats team average currently sits at .288.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 19, 2019
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Mariachis Fall to Margaritas, 6-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Redbirds' Home Run Barrage Leads to 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Halt I-Cubs' Comeback - Iowa Cubs
- Chanclas Drop Opener in Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Wild Pitch Hands 'Cakes Walk-Off Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dillard Spins Gem, Solak Homers Twice in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Astros' Correa to Rehab at the Shrine - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-59) at Omaha Storm Chasers (45-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Recycle E-Waste at Chukchansi Park on August 3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Winning All Eight on a Homestand - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Defeat River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Four Homers Pace Chihuahuas to Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- El Paso Takes Season Finale against Reno - Reno Aces
- River Cats take series from Bees despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats launch four home runs in lopsided win
- Gerber stays hot against Isotopes but River Cats drop opener
- River Cats' Penultimate Regular Season Homestand Kicks off Tonight
- Local names lead River Cats to victory in finale
- Davis adds two more dingers but bullpen and defense faulter late