Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (57-41) fell to the Memphis Redbirds (39-59) by a lopsided 10-4 final in their series finale on Thursday night at Dell Diamond. The Redbirds success forced a split in their current series and pushed the foes record to an even 6-6 on the season.
Round Rock RHP Carson LaRue (0-2, 7.36) suffered the loss after surrendering seven runs, only five of which were earned, on eight hits in a 5.0-inning start. On the winning side, Redbirds starter RHP Austin Warner (1-0, 6.75) held Round Rock to four runs on seven hits while striking out seven.
Rehabbing Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa, who served as Round Rock's designated hitter tonight, went 2-3 with a double and a walk in his third rehab appearance with the team.
Memphis struck first in the opening frame as CF Randy Arozarena started the game off with a double and advanced to third when 1B John Nogowski flew out. Shortly thereafter, Arozarena scored the 'Birds first run on a Rangel Ravelo sacrifice fly.
However, Round Rock quickly loaded the bases as SS Jack Mayfield, Correa and CF Derek Fisher drew a trio of walks. Mayfield eventually scored the team's first run when RF Drew Ferguson sent a sacrifice fly into right field.
After a scoreless second inning, Nogowski homered to put Memphis ahead by one run. In the home half, Mayfield doubled before advancing to third on a Correa single and scoring when Fisher grounded out. The game was tied for mere minutes until RF Johan Mieses hit a fourth-inning solo shot to put the 'Birds ahead 3-2.
Not to be outdone, E-Train LF Josh Rojas went deep for two runs, scoring 2B Alex De Goti who led off the frame with a single, giving Round Rock their first lead of the game at 4-3 in the fourth.
A big fifth inning for Memphis ultimately sealed Round Rock's defeat. 3B Jose Martinez led off the frame with a double and advanced to third when Arozarena jumped aboard via a fielding error. Eventually, the runner scored on the Redbirds second sacrifice fly of the night, courtesy of 2B Ramon Urias. Later that inning, Nogowski added to the theme of twos with this second home run of the game then LF Lane Thomas tacked on a double. Before the E-Train could retire the inning, Thomas scored a run of his own thanks to a Joe Hudson base hit.
Memphis did not let up in the sixth, in fact, the Redbirds continued to knock in insurance runs. Arozarena reached base for the fourth consecutive time, this time via a walk, and preceded to steal second before Urias doubled him home.
In the eighth, SS Kramer Robertson doubled prior to a Martinez single before plating Memphis' ninth run when Arozarena grounded into a double play. In the final frame, Thomas drew a walk and was quickly pushed from first to third on a Hudson single. Mieses then hit into a double play that drove in Memphis' 10th run of the evening.
In the home half of the ninth, Rojas notched a leadoff single and Chas McCormick, who pinch hit for Correa, worked a walk before CF Derek Fisher loaded the bases with a single. With three men aboard, Ferguson grounded into a force out that erased Fisher at second but allowed Rojas to tack on a run. Despite the late effort, a comeback was too big of a feat to accomplish, resulting in a 10-5 Express defeat.
Round Rock hits the road for a three-game series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes (Miami Marlins affiliate). Express LHP Ryan Hartman (5-5, 4.94) is scheduled to start opposite Baby Cakes RHP Joe Gunkel (2-1, 3.50). First pitch at the Shrine on Airline is slated for 7:00 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 19, 2019
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Mariachis Fall to Margaritas, 6-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Redbirds' Home Run Barrage Leads to 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Halt I-Cubs' Comeback - Iowa Cubs
- Chanclas Drop Opener in Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Wild Pitch Hands 'Cakes Walk-Off Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dillard Spins Gem, Solak Homers Twice in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Astros' Correa to Rehab at the Shrine - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-59) at Omaha Storm Chasers (45-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Recycle E-Waste at Chukchansi Park on August 3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Winning All Eight on a Homestand - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Defeat River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Four Homers Pace Chihuahuas to Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- El Paso Takes Season Finale against Reno - Reno Aces
- River Cats take series from Bees despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.