Sounds Halt I-Cubs' Comeback
NASHVILLE, TN - The Iowa Cubs (55-44) scored three in the eighth to feign a comeback but fell short as the Nashville Sounds (41-57) captured a 6-5 victory, Friday at First Tennessee Park.
Nashville quickly built a 4-0 lead after two with the help of home runs from Andy Ibanez, Nick Solak and Patrick Wisdom. Iowa was held scoreless until the third when Dixon Machado batted in Johnny Field following a leadoff double. It was last of the scoring for either team until the sixth.
After a shaky start, Matt Swarmer settled in to spin three scoreless frames. The righty exited with two outs in the sixth after giving up an RBI double to Willie Calhoun. Swarmer allowed 10 hits and two walks in the outing, but was able to limit the damage to five runs. He fanned eight, one shy of a season best.
Iowa doubled its score in the seventh as a Phillip Evans triple turned into a run. Solak's second home run of the night took the run right back in the bottom of the frame as Nashville kept a 6-2 edge.
The I-Cubs mounted their comeback in the eighth as Machado sparked the action with a leadoff double. Machado scored on a Donnie Dewees two-bagger, before Zack Short made it a one-run game with a two-run blast. Iowa couldn't complete the charge as the Sounds held on for victory.
- Matt Swarmer's 26 home runs allowed this season are tied for the fourth-most in a single season in Iowa franchise history.
- Dixon Machado went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI.
- Iowa has given up at least one home run in 10-straight games and has allowed 27 total in this span.
Iowa and Nashville meet for a 7:05 p.m. first pitch tomorrow at First Tennessee Park. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or MiLB.tv.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 19, 2019
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Mariachis Fall to Margaritas, 6-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Redbirds' Home Run Barrage Leads to 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Halt I-Cubs' Comeback - Iowa Cubs
- Chanclas Drop Opener in Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Wild Pitch Hands 'Cakes Walk-Off Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dillard Spins Gem, Solak Homers Twice in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Astros' Correa to Rehab at the Shrine - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-59) at Omaha Storm Chasers (45-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Recycle E-Waste at Chukchansi Park on August 3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Winning All Eight on a Homestand - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Defeat River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Four Homers Pace Chihuahuas to Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- El Paso Takes Season Finale against Reno - Reno Aces
- River Cats take series from Bees despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.