Redbirds' Home Run Barrage Leads to 8-4 Win
OMAHA, Nebraska - A 2-0 deficit through three innings was no problem for the Memphis Redbirds, as they proceeded to blast four home runs and toss three scoreless innings to finish an 8-4 win over the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals) in the series opener Friday night in Omaha, Neb.
Adolis Garcia homered twice for his 19th and 20th long balls of the season, John Nogowski went deep for the third time in two games, and Johan Mieses went yard for the third-straight game to power the Memphis offense. Nogowski also doubled, Jose Godoy hit two two-baggers, and Randy Arozarena also had a double in the game.
The first four hitters in the Memphis (40-59) lineup all had two-hit games as part of the Redbirds' 13-hit attack, and defensively the club turned four double plays. Garcia also had an outfield assist at second base.
Harold Arauz moved to 6-2 on the season with 5.2 innings of work, allowing four runs on six hits with two strikeouts and three walks. Tyler Webb, Mike Mayers, and Hunter Cervenka combined to finish the ballgame in scoreless fashion.
With Omaha (45-54) threatening, Webb got a double play to finish the seventh inning, Mayers got two groundouts and a strikeout around a walk in the eighth, and Cervenka induced a double play to finish the ballgame.
Arozarena is now on a five-game hitting streak after his 2-for-5 game.
Memphis and Omaha continue their three-game series tomorrow night at 7:05. The Redbirds return to AutoZone Park on Tuesday.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, July 24 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, July 25 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Wednesday, July 31 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, August 1 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; College Night with $5 Bluff tickets for college students with a college ID
Friday, August 2 at 7:05: All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat tacos buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat; Chick-fil-A Friday Family Pack specialty ticket option with free ballpark food and free Chick-fil-A at www.memphisredbirds.com/fridayfamilypack
Saturday, August 3 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Back to School Night presented by Walmart with a free fully-loaded backpack to the first 1,500 kids ages 12 and under; Aldo's Pizza specialty ticket with free soda at the ballpark and free and discounted food and beverages at Aldo's Pizza Pies available at www.memphisredbirds.com/aldos
Sunday, August 4 at 2:05: Redbirds Wiffle Bat giveaway to the first 2,000 fans presented by Prairie Farms Dairy; Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, August 5 at 6:35: the Redbirds take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series with $3 tacos and $5 Dos Equis available at the stadium
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 19, 2019
- New Orleans Stuns Round Rock in 6-5 Walkoff Defeat - Round Rock Express
- Mariachis Fall to Margaritas, 6-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Redbirds' Home Run Barrage Leads to 8-4 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Halt I-Cubs' Comeback - Iowa Cubs
- Chanclas Drop Opener in Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Wild Pitch Hands 'Cakes Walk-Off Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dillard Spins Gem, Solak Homers Twice in Sounds Win - Nashville Sounds
- Astros' Correa to Rehab at the Shrine - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (40-57) vs. Iowa Cubs (55-43) - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Game Notes: Flying Chanclas de San Antonio at Cielo Azul de Oklahoma - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes vs. Fresno - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (39-59) at Omaha Storm Chasers (45-53) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Recycle E-Waste at Chukchansi Park on August 3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Winning All Eight on a Homestand - San Antonio Missions
- Bees Defeat River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Four Homers Pace Chihuahuas to Victory - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Lobaton Belts Two Three-Run Bombs, Rainiers Split Series with Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- El Paso Takes Season Finale against Reno - Reno Aces
- River Cats take series from Bees despite dropping finale - Sacramento River Cats
- Express Bested by Redbirds 10-4 in Series Finale - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Woodford Gives up One Hit in 6.0 Innings to Lead 8-2 Redbirds Win
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (56-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-56)
- Ponce de Leon Charts Course with Series-Opening Shutout
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (55-66) vs Iowa Cubs (66-55)
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (August 15-25)