Red Claws Take Down Mad Ants
Portland, ME - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, got big performances from their Two-Way players down the stretch, hanging on for a 103-100 win over Fort Wayne in front of a sold out crowd at the Portland Expo.
Maine (2-0) was led by Tremont Waters and Tacko Fall. Waters hit crucial free throws down the stretch, finishing with 17 points and 7 assists. Fall had a huge double-double with 16 points, 13 rebounds and 6 blocks. Yante Maten led Maine with 22 points and 10 boards in the win, and Bryce Brown scored 16.
Fort Wayne (0-3) was led by Naz Mitrou-Long who finished with a game-high 28 points.
The Red Claws and Mad Ants traded buckets early. Waters buried a three, picking up where he left off last game. Travin Thibodeaux's early two buckets helped Fort Wayne to an early 12-7 lead. Tacko's putback followed by Bryce Brown's three gave Maine a 16-12 lead. Fall's big blocks helped carry Maine, but the Mad Ants held a 25-24 lead after 1.
In the 2nd, Tacko started the period with a monster jam to put the Claws up 1. The Red Claws opened the quarter on a 13-2 run, and Jaysean Paige's three-ball put Maine up 37-27, and the run extended to 17-2 before the Mad Ants stopped the bleeding. Langford left the game with an ankle injury, but Maine continued the offensive and defensive pressure to maintain the double-digit lead. Fall grabbed his 11th rebound to finish with 12 and 11 in the first half, and the Red Claws led 47-36 at halftime. Maine shot only 38.8% (19-49) from the floor in the first half, and just 4-20 from downtown (20%).
Wayne Blackshear opened the 3rd quarter with a triple, and Maine got back to a 15 point lead at 53-38. Brown buried back-to-back three's to put Maine up 65-52, but the Mad Ants answered with a three of their own. Still, the Red Claws maintained the lead, up 78-67 after 3. In the 4th, Jaysean Paige's monster slam got the crowd fired up and put Maine up 9. The Mad Ants didn't go away. Maten's put-back put the Claws up 95-88 with 3:00 to go. Ike Nwamu's deep three cut it to 4. After another Fort Wayne bucket, the Mad Ants got the ball back down 95-93. Waters three-point play put the Red Claws away for good.
Maine shot 37.9% (36-95) from the floor, 23.3% (10-43) from three-point range, and 14-19 from the free throw line. Fort Wayne shot 44% (40-91) from the field, 25.9% (7-27) from downtown, and 10-13 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action Sunday afternoon against Raptors 905 at the Portland Expo. Tickets are on sale by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Wisconsin Wins Third Consecutive Game, Beat Raptors 905 115-109 - Wisconsin Herd
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Austin Spurs 119-102, Complete Texas Two-Step - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 119-102 - Austin Spurs
- Blue Coats Score Season-High 152 Points, Win Road Opener at Long Island - Delaware Blue Coats
- Strus, Windy City Big Men Hold Back the Charge, 111-97 - Windy City Bulls
- Offense Falters in Second Half, Team Drops Home Contest to Clippers on Iowa Energy Night - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Nets Drop Second Straight at Home to Delaware - Long Island Nets
- Big Fourth Quarter Leads to Drive Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Take Down Mad Ants - Maine Red Claws
- Hicks Becomes All-Time Leading Rebounder in Franchise History as Mad Ants Fall at Maine - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Dropped by Bulls - Canton Charge
- Hustle Shoot Past Kings in Red Hot Fourth Quarter - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Acquire Returning Rights Player James Webb III - Iowa Wolves
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host Coaches vs. Cancer Fundraiser and First-Ever Dollar Dog Night - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Heats up in Fourth Quarter to Grab Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.