Hustle Shoot Past Kings in Red Hot Fourth Quarter
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle won its fourth straight game by double digits to open the season, picking up a 125-110 victory over the Stockton Kings Friday afternoon at Landers Center. Seven Memphis players scored 15 points or more while the team shot 53.3 percent (49-92 FG) from the field, 48.4 percent (15-31 3P) from long range and 90.0 percent (9-10 FT) from the free throw line.
The Hustle took a one-point lead (90-89) into the fourth quarter before knocking down four straight threes from four different players early in the period. All five players on the floor (Jackson, Konchar, Mooney, Teague, Uthoff) to start the quarter combined for six three-pointers in the first 4:08, pushing Memphis' lead to 13. Memphis outscored Stockton 35-21 in the final frame and led by as many as 17.
After turnovers on its first three possessions helped Memphis to an early nine-point lead, Stockton fought back and cut the lead to 33-29 after the first period. Despite shooting 37.5 percent (9-of-24 FG) in the second quarter while Memphis shot 52.4 percent (11-21 FG), the Kings forced seven Hustle turnovers that led to 14 of their 29 second quarter points, which kept the deficit at three at halftime (61-58).
After a 9-0 Hustle run to start the third quarter, the Kings countered with a 14-4 run of their own to cut the lead back to two and eventually led by one multiple times in the period.
Jarrod Uthoff led the Hustle in scoring for the third time this season, recording 20 points and six rebounds while knocking down 3-of-6 three-point attempts. Grizzlies assignee Josh Jackson and two-way player John Konchar both filled up the stat sheet. Jackson tallied 16 points, 10 rebounds, five assists and two blocks while Konchar collected 17 points, 11 rebounds, six assists and three steals. Matt Mooney scored 17 points off the bench. Marquis Teague recorded 16 on a perfect 6-of-6 from the field. Two-way player Yuta Watanabe scored 16 points while Dusty Hannahs scored 15 on 6-of-9 shooting.
Gabe Vincent was electric for the Kings off the bench, scoring a game-high 34 points on 10-of-17 shooting (7-13 3P). Two-way player Kyle Guy poured in 23 points to go with six assists on the afternoon. Eric Mika had a dominant game down low for Stockton, posting 17 points and 16 rebounds.
The Hustle return to Landers Center this coming Monday, November 18, to take on the South Bay Lakers at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Wisconsin Wins Third Consecutive Game, Beat Raptors 905 115-109 - Wisconsin Herd
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Austin Spurs 119-102, Complete Texas Two-Step - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 119-102 - Austin Spurs
- Blue Coats Score Season-High 152 Points, Win Road Opener at Long Island - Delaware Blue Coats
- Strus, Windy City Big Men Hold Back the Charge, 111-97 - Windy City Bulls
- Offense Falters in Second Half, Team Drops Home Contest to Clippers on Iowa Energy Night - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Nets Drop Second Straight at Home to Delaware - Long Island Nets
- Big Fourth Quarter Leads to Drive Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Take Down Mad Ants - Maine Red Claws
- Hicks Becomes All-Time Leading Rebounder in Franchise History as Mad Ants Fall at Maine - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Dropped by Bulls - Canton Charge
- Hustle Shoot Past Kings in Red Hot Fourth Quarter - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Acquire Returning Rights Player James Webb III - Iowa Wolves
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host Coaches vs. Cancer Fundraiser and First-Ever Dollar Dog Night - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Heats up in Fourth Quarter to Grab Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Memphis Grizzlies Sign Dusty Hannahs to 10-Day Contract
- Hustle Suffer Third Home Loss of the Season, Fall to Skyforce
- Hustle Snap Five-Game Road Losing Streak in Matinee Win over Clippers
- Four Hustle Players Selected to Western Conference Midseason All-NBA G League Team
- Shorthanded Hustle Fall to Lakers 115-106 to Begin West Coast Trip