South Bay Heats up in Fourth Quarter to Grab Home Victory
EL SEGUNDO - The South Bay Lakers secured their first home win of the season as they beat the Sioux Falls Skyforce, 121-118, on Thursday night. Zach Norvell Jr. broke through with 23 points off the bench and Talen Horton-Tucker finished with 22 points, six rebounds and three assists for the Lakers (2-1) in the win. Davon Reed led Sioux Falls (2-2) with 26 points.
It was a tight contest in the first quarter, with the visiting team holding a two-point edge, 33-31, after one. Reed led the Skyforce with 10 points in the opening frame. South Bay found their rhythm in the second quarter as Norvell Jr. put up eight points on 2-of-3 from beyond the arc to give his team a 71-66 lead at the half.
The Skyforce controlled the third quarter, led behind a combined 17 points from Jeremiah Martin and Mychal Mulder, to take a 96-90 lead into the fourth quarter. Horton-Tucker and Norvell Jr. combined for 17 points in the fourth, while hustle plays by Devontae Cacok, Gary Payton II and David Stockton helped secure the win. Cacok had the go-ahead bucket with 25 seconds remaining, Payton II leaped for a steal with 11 seconds to go and Stockton sunk a pair of free throws with six seconds left to secure the victory.
Reed's game-high 26 points paced Sioux Falls as Martin and Mulder scored 21 points apiece. Marcus Lee tallied a 15-point, 13-rebound double-double off the bench, but the Skyforce fell for the second time in as many nights.
Big scoring nights from Horton-Tucker and Norvell Jr. led the way for South Bay and Cacok grabbed his third consecutive double-double to start the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Payton II continued to do some of everything (15 points, eight rebounds, five assists, three steals) and Stockton captained the second unit with two points and 10 assists. Demetrius Jackson (11 points), Travis Wear (11 points), Kostas Antetokounmpo (10 points, nine rebounds) and Reggie Hearn (10 points) all finished in double figures for South Bay.
South Bay will now hit the road to take on the Memphis Hustle on Monday, November 18 at 5:00pm from the Landers Center in Southaven, MS.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 15, 2019
- Wisconsin Wins Third Consecutive Game, Beat Raptors 905 115-109 - Wisconsin Herd
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Austin Spurs 119-102, Complete Texas Two-Step - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Austin Spurs Fall to Santa Cruz Warriors 119-102 - Austin Spurs
- Blue Coats Score Season-High 152 Points, Win Road Opener at Long Island - Delaware Blue Coats
- Strus, Windy City Big Men Hold Back the Charge, 111-97 - Windy City Bulls
- Offense Falters in Second Half, Team Drops Home Contest to Clippers on Iowa Energy Night - Iowa Wolves
- Long Island Nets Drop Second Straight at Home to Delaware - Long Island Nets
- Big Fourth Quarter Leads to Drive Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Take Down Mad Ants - Maine Celtics
- Hicks Becomes All-Time Leading Rebounder in Franchise History as Mad Ants Fall at Maine - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Dropped by Bulls - Cleveland Charge
- Hustle Shoot Past Kings in Red Hot Fourth Quarter - Memphis Hustle
- Wolves Acquire Returning Rights Player James Webb III - Iowa Wolves
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host Coaches vs. Cancer Fundraiser and First-Ever Dollar Dog Night - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Heats up in Fourth Quarter to Grab Home Victory - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.