Red Claws fall hard to Fort Wayne
PORTLAND, ME - Despite a 27-point effort from Russell Robinson, the Maine Red Claws fell to the Fort Wayne Mad Ants by a score of 105-92.
After the Red Claws closed the first half on a 13-4 run, the Mad Ants came out of the break on fire, outscoring Maine 19-6 to take a 70-56 lead.
Trailing 81-67 at the start of the fourth quarter, Maine started the frame on a 10-2 run to cut the deficit to six, but Maine would not come any closer over the final eight minutes of play.
Oliver Lafayette powered his way to a double-double for the Mad Ants with 32 points and 12 boards while teammate Robert Kruz also had a double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds.
Morris Almond scored 22 points for the Red Claws while teammate Kurt Looby grabbed 16 boards while blocking six shots in the loss. For his efforts, Looby was named the Adidas Player of the Game.
With tonight's win, Fort Wayne's season has concluded. Maine will face the Erie BayHawks tomorrow in their final regular season game and face a do-or-die situation. Even with a win in their season finale, Maine will need some help from Reno or Utah to secure a spot in the playoffs. Both teams are in action tonight.
With tomorrow's game already a sell-out, their 24th of their inaugural season, Maine is the first NBA D-League team to sell out every home game in a single season. The team will honor "Crustacean Nation" as Boston Celtics great Tommy Heinsohn will join the team tomorrow to honor the Maine fans with a special pregame ceremony to retire the number one in their honor. Tip off is at 7:30 PM.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 2, 2010
- T-Birds Lose to Reno Despite Seven Players Scoring in Double Figures - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 66ers Dispel of Energy in 125-87 Victory on Friday - Tulsa 66ers
- Sioux Falls Forces Way Past Bakersfield - Bakersfield Jam
- Flash Extended Franchise Best Win Streak to Five - Utah Flash
- D-Fenders lose to Stampede - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Donell Taylor leads Stampede to victory - Idaho Stampede
- Flash Extend Win Streak to Five - Austin Spurs
- Erie Closes Home Schedule with Win - G League
- Vipers Tie Single-Season Home Wins Record - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws fall hard to Fort Wayne - Maine Celtics
- Earl Barron Earns 2009-10 NBA D-League Season's 33rd GATORADE Call-Up - G League
- North Tops South in Annual Dennis Johnson Memorial Girls All-Classic - Austin Spurs
- Iowa's Earl Barron Signs With New York Knicks - G League
- Stampede Partner With Western Recycling To Promote Green Week - Idaho Stampede
- Red Claws To Honor Crustacean Nation - Maine Celtics
- Sioux Falls' Alexander Johnson Named Player Of The Month - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Celtics Stories
- Maine Celtics Announce Schedule for 2021-22 Season
- Jarell Christian Named Head Coach of Maine Celtics
- Celtics Sign Sam Hauser to Two-Way Contract
- Maine Celtics, Gifford's Ice Cream Announce Partnership
- Maine Celtics Partner with TD Bank to Fight Food Insecurity in Maine