Record Breaking Night from Drew II Leads Sioux Falls over Rio Grande Valley
Sioux Falls, SD (Dec. 25, 2014) - Twas Christmas Night at the Sanford Pentagon and Larry Drew II channeled his inner Santa Claus and delivered an NBA Development League record 23 assists as the Sioux Falls Skyforce defeated the Rio Grande Valley Vipers 135-129.
The Skyforce (7-7) jumped out to a quick start and led 31-21 with 3:20 left in the first quarter. Rio Grande Valley (6-10) responded and ended the quarter on a 15-0 run and led 36-31 at the conclusion of the first quarter. Drew II finished the first quarter with nine assists. Led by eight second quarter points from Khem Birch, the Skyforce took a 68-62 lead into the half. Tyler Johnson led all scorers with 20 points in the first half and Drew II led all players with 16 first half assists.
Both teams scored 32 points in the third quarter and Sioux Falls led 100-94 going into the final quarter. The Skyforce came out hot in the fourth quarter and a three-pointer from Fuquan Edwin gave Sioux Falls a 129-111 lead with 3:45 left to play. Four three-pointers in the next three minutes from Rio Grande Valley's Akeem Richmond led a 17-1 Vipers run which saw them trailing 130-128 with just under one minute remaining. Rio Grande Valley wouldn't get any closer and the Skyforce ended the annual Christmas Night game with a 135-129 victory.
Drew II finished the night with a new team and NBA Development League single game record 23 assists to go along with 16 points. Tyler Johnson led Sioux Falls with 28 points and also dished out seven assists. Khem Birch (21 points, 15 rebounds) recorded his eight double-double of the season.
Rio Grande Valley was led by Akeem Richmond's 33 points on 10-of-21 shooting from three-point range. 15 of Richmond's points came in the fourth quarter. Jaron Johnson (24 points) and Christapher Johnson (22 points) were the other two Vipers to score over 20 points.
Sioux Falls will be back in action at the Sanford Pentagon at 7 p.m. on Saturday night against the Austin Spurs (10-3). Austin is currently on a 10-game winning streak. Rio Grande Valley will be on the road again Saturday as they travel to take on the Delaware 87ers (4-8).
Larry Drew II posts 16 points & 23 assists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vUne13pxXGuk
Larry Drew II post-game interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vqjHZLdx9xCk&featureyoutu.be
Tyler Johnson scores 28 points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vpnKCcA0C_Tw
Fuquan Edwin scores 20 points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vohqh9eBTsPw
Khem Birch records 8th double-double: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vpJk76KOMKYY
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 26, 2014
- Balanced Attack Leads to OKC Blue Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Iowa Energy Fall in Another Close Game to Maine - Iowa Wolves
- Red Claws Win Franchise Record 8th Straight Game - Maine Red Claws
- Jam Beat Charge 107-83 - Bakersfield Jam
- Charge Dropped at Home by Jam - Canton Charge
- Marble Assigned to Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Orlando's Devyn Marble Assigned to the NBA D-League's Erie BayHawks - G League
- Jorge Gutierrez Returns to Charge - Canton Charge
- Blue Acquires Reggie Williams and Future Draft Pick - Oklahoma City Blue
- Iowa Energy Acquire Chris Allen - Iowa Wolves
- Mad Ants to Host Student Nights - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Bighorns Outshoot Stampede by 29 Points - Reno Bighorns
- Record Breaking Night from Drew II Leads Sioux Falls over Rio Grande Valley - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Stampede Lose Shootout to Bighorns - Idaho Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.