Rattlers Roll Past Peoria
PEORIA, IL -- The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers got off the bus swinging the bats Monday in Peoria and never stopped as they crushed the Chiefs 15-3 to start an eight game road trip. Kuo Hui Lo had four hits and scored four runs to lead the Rattler offense to season highs in runs and hits. Gavin Dickey and Jamie McOwen each had three hits. Dickey had three RBI and McOwen had four runs knocked in on Monday night at O'Brien Field.
Dickey gave the Rattlers (3-2 second half, 25-48 overall) a very early lead. He led off the game with a home run to left center off Chief pitcher Marco Carrillo. The long ball was Dickey's first of the season.
Peoria (2-3, 33-41) tied the game in the bottom of the first inning on a two-out RBI single by Russ Canzler.
But, Wisconsin went back to work offensively and scored four runs in the top of the second inning. Lo singled to start the inning and extended his hitting streak to seven games. Joe White followed with a double and Lo scored easily. Later in the inning, White scored on a throwing error. Then, with two on and one out, Dickey tripled to right center and the Rattlers were up 5-1.
An error with two outs in the bottom of the second inning let Peoria score a run.
Then, the Rattlers padded the lead again in the top of the third. McOwen lofted a two-out, two-run single to left and Wisconsin was in front 7-2.
But, the Chiefs kept coming back. An RBI fielder's choice by Matt Camp in the bottom of the fourth got Peoria to within 7-3.
Lo singled, his third hit of the night, with one out in the fifth. Jair Fernandez doubled to the left field corner and Lo scored his third run of the night for an 8-3 Rattler lead.
The Rattlers tacked on two more runs in the top of the sixth. Juan Diaz singled in a run and a wild pitch allowed the second run of the inning to score. Wisconsin put the game away with four runs in the top of the seventh. Fernandez doubled in a run and McOwen doubled in two more. McOwen scored later in the inning when Dickey grounded into a 6-4-3 double play.
Trevor Lawhorn finished off the scoring on the night with a lead off homer in the top of the eighth. Lo collected his fourth hit -- and Wisconsin's eighteenth -- of the night later in the inning.
Shawn Kelley, Seattle's 13th round pick out of Austin Peay State University in the 2007 draft, got the win in his Timber Rattler debut. Kelley pitched two scoreless innings in relief.
Keith Renaud, Seattle's 10th round pick in the '07 draft out of Franklin Pierce College, also made his inaugural Rattler appearance and tossed two scoreless innings. Rollie Gibson closed out the game with a scoreless ninth.
The Rattlers and Chiefs continue the series on Tuesday night. Kyle Parker (3-3, 2.04) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Peoria will send Robert Hernandez (2-2, 4.64) to the mound. Game time is 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 25, 2007
- Cougars Go Deep to Beat Bees - Burlington Bees
- Rattlers Score Early, Often, Bury Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Roll Past Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- King's Hit Casts Spell on Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Deal, Cougars Roll Over Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Sneak Past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Lose Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Win Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cooley for Kids Day Comes to Fifth Third Ballpark - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Principal Financial Group Family Fun Fest Comes To JOD - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Midwest League Honors Cody White - Great Lakes Loons
- Chris Parmelee Named Twins' Minor League Player of the Week - Beloit Snappers
- Swing Add First Baseman To Roster - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Award-Winning Author Tom Stanton To Visit O'Brien Field - Peoria Chiefs
- The Hits Keep Coming - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Manship Moving On - Beloit Snappers
- Howell Returns - Burlington Bees
- Kernels fall to Bees, 6-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Specialty Jerseys for 2019 Include Copa De La Diversion Entry
- Rattlers Ask Fans to Share 25 Seasons of Memories
- Easter Brunch at the Ballpark on April 21
- The 2019 Timber Rattlers Golf Outing Set for June 3
- Almighty Pork Sandwich Wins 2019 Timber Rattlers Food Fight