'Caps Sneak Past Lugnuts, 5-4
LANSING- The Lansing Lugnuts dropped their third consecutive game on Monday evening, as the West Michigan Whitecaps were able to hold on late and earn a 5-4 victory at Fifth Third Ballpark. The loss also drops the Lugnuts to an even .500 this season.
Lansing jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the second inning. The Lugnuts were able to load the bases with two men out for Jonathan Diaz, who's single into center plated Brian Pettway and Matt Lane to make it 2-0.
However the lead would not last long as the Whitecaps' Brennan Boesch ad Jeramy Laster led the bottom half of the inning off with back-to-back homers to tie the game at 2-2.
West Michigan would take the lead later in the same inning on an Audy Ciriaco sacrifice fly.
The Whitecaps added two runs that turned out to be crucial in the fourth. James Skelton smacked an RBI double into right-center field that plated Laster to push the lead to 4-2. Skelton would later come home on a Scott Sizemore sacrifice fly.
Those runs were important because Lansing out two runs on the board in the eighth inning when Travis Snider crushed a home run to center field to make it a 5-4 game. The homer snapped an 0-for-12 skid for Snider. Howver that would be as close as Lansing could get in the game.
Jonah Nickerson (5-6) got the win for the Whitecaps, as he tossed six innings and allowed just two runs on six hits.
Nate Starner (5-7) took the loss, surrendering five runs on eight hits in four innings of work.
Brett Jensen picked up his 14th save of the season.
Lansing (37-37, 2-3) and West Michigan (43-32, 5-0) will continue the series with a matinee affair on Tuesday afternoon. Graham Godfrey (4-2, 4.25) will make the start for the Lugnuts. He will be opposed by the Whitecaps' Duane Below (7-2, 3.40). First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 25, 2007
- Cougars Go Deep to Beat Bees - Burlington Bees
- Rattlers Score Early, Often, Bury Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Rattlers Roll Past Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- King's Hit Casts Spell on Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Deal, Cougars Roll Over Burlington - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Sneak Past Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Lose Game One, Game Two Rained Out - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Win Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cooley for Kids Day Comes to Fifth Third Ballpark - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Principal Financial Group Family Fun Fest Comes To JOD - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Midwest League Honors Cody White - Great Lakes Loons
- Chris Parmelee Named Twins' Minor League Player of the Week - Beloit Snappers
- Swing Add First Baseman To Roster - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Award-Winning Author Tom Stanton To Visit O'Brien Field - Peoria Chiefs
- The Hits Keep Coming - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Manship Moving On - Beloit Snappers
- Howell Returns - Burlington Bees
- Kernels fall to Bees, 6-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.