Rapids Forward Diego Rubio Available for Selection After Chile Call-Up
Colorado Rapids forward Diego Rubio will be available for selection for the Rapids' first-round match of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs at Minnesota on Sunday.
Rubio returned from his call-up to the Chile national team fully healthy and ready to continue his late run of form. The 27-year-old had a goal and two assists in four games down the stretch, including an assist on Colorado's goal against Minnesota at the end of October. Rubio then helped set up Kellyn Acosta's playoff-clinching goal on Nov. 4 against Portland and scored the game-winning goal in stoppage time of the regular season finale in Houston.
"Diego is one of the smartest forwards I've ever been around," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said after Rubio's game-winner in Houston. "His unselfishness, his ability to lead the press, his timing, his work rate. He's incredibly unselfish in what he does. This is one of the strengths of this team. There are a lot of unselfish guys on the team that are willing to do work for other guys when they need to and Diego is the first one that will do that. What he's given us all year is so much more than just goals. What he does is allow us to play the way that we play."
The Rapids take on Minnesota United FC on Sunday, Nov. 22, at 5:30 p.m. MT on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 19, 2020
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Inter Miami CF in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Launches Enhanced Data Broadcast for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Update on Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Home Match on Saturday at MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Forward Diego Rubio Available for Selection After Chile Call-Up - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Announce Extended Partnership with PG&E and the PG&E Corporation Foundation - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City, Pride to Host Orlando City Foundation Annual Turkey Giveaway Presented by Publix on Monday - Orlando City SC
- Rookie Roommates Alistair Johnston and Jack Maher Stay Laughing through a Tumultuous Season - Nashville SC
- Into the Numbers: Chris Mueller - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Signs Andres Jasson to Homegrown Contract - New York City FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Play-In Round - New England Revolution
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Announces Winners for 2020 Sporting Club Awards - Sporting Kansas City
- Nesbitt First Woman Named MLS Assistant Referee of the Year - MLS
- Angel City Football Club to Play at Banc of California Stadium in Spring 2022 - Los Angeles FC
- New York City Football Club Continues COVID-19 Relief Efforts with NY Common Pantry During Thanksgiving Week - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS
- Recapping the Rapids 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Philip Mayaka's Soccer Journey from Kenya to MLS
- Rapids Look to Continue Recent Success at 2021 MLS SuperDraft on January 21
- Sam Vines Continues to Impress USMNT Coaching Staff Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers