Major League Soccer Launches Enhanced Data Broadcast for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
November 19, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Major League Soccer announced today it will integrate state-of-the art data visualization technology, optical player tracking, and enhanced metrics into match broadcasts as part of an enhanced second screen viewing experience for fans. This marks the first live augmented data offering of a full match by a professional soccer league. The streams will be available for every Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoff match played in an MLS venue*, streams will be available on FOX Sports App, FOXSports.com, TUDN.com, the TUDN app, and ESPN3 throughout the playoffs.
Fans will experience video game-like elements in real time on an enhanced second screen experience. Much like EA SPORTS FIFA 21, the location of every player will be displayed on top of the game broadcast using a "mini map" of the field. In addition, location data will be used to identify players in real time as play progresses and showcase player sprinting speeds throughout the game.
"Major League Soccer continues to be at the forefront of utilizing data and technology to positively enhance the fan experience and bring fans closer to the game," said Chris Schlosser, MLS SVP of Media. "We are excited to provide our fans with an all new game viewing experience for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. Working with Second Spectrum we are pushing the envelope with what is possible when you combine the latest in machine learning and augmented reality technology. We are excited for our fans to have a taste of what is possible in the years ahead using this groundbreaking technology".
These streams are part of a broader MLS initiative to create enhanced data feeds from all MLS matches as part of a partnership with Second Spectrum. The partnership, announced in March, provides enhanced data from every match as well as advanced video tools for use by all MLS coaching staffs. In addition, MLS and Second Spectrum are partnering to create new fan experiences, starting with enhanced highlights that rolled out earlier this year and now continuing with live full match streams.
The technology will debut for fans on Friday, Nov. 20 when New England Revolution meet Montreal Impact in an Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Play-in game at 6:30 p.m. ET on FS1 with the enhanced stream on FOX Sports App and FoxSports.com. When Nashville SC and Inter Miami CF play on ESPN2 at 9 p.m. ET on Friday, fans will be able to access the enhanced stream on ESPN3. The stream will be available on MLSsoccer.com, TUDN.com and the TUDN app for select Univision network games, as well as Fox Sports App and FOXSports.com for MLS Cup.
For more information, visit MLSsoccer.com.
*Toronto FC games played in Hartford, CT are not included in this program
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 19, 2020
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Inter Miami CF in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Major League Soccer Launches Enhanced Data Broadcast for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Provides Update on Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Home Match on Saturday at MAPFRE Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Rapids Forward Diego Rubio Available for Selection After Chile Call-Up - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Announce Extended Partnership with PG&E and the PG&E Corporation Foundation - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City, Pride to Host Orlando City Foundation Annual Turkey Giveaway Presented by Publix on Monday - Orlando City SC
- Rookie Roommates Alistair Johnston and Jack Maher Stay Laughing through a Tumultuous Season - Nashville SC
- Into the Numbers: Chris Mueller - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Signs Andres Jasson to Homegrown Contract - New York City FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Play-In Round - New England Revolution
- Two Atlanta United Players Undergo Successful Post-Season Surgery - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting KC Announces Winners for 2020 Sporting Club Awards - Sporting Kansas City
- Nesbitt First Woman Named MLS Assistant Referee of the Year - MLS
- Angel City Football Club to Play at Banc of California Stadium in Spring 2022 - Los Angeles FC
- New York City Football Club Continues COVID-19 Relief Efforts with NY Common Pantry During Thanksgiving Week - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.