Rainiers Cut Down By Sky Sox, 8-4
TACOMA, Wash. - The Tacoma Rainiers (56-58) dropped their series finale to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (60-52) by a final score of 8-4 on Tuesday afternoon at Cheney Stadium.
It was the final game between the Rainiers and Sky Sox, who completed their 31-year matchup history with a dead even record of 174-174.
Rehabbing Major League infielder Robinson Canó saw four at-bats on Tuesday afternoon while serving as the club's designated hitter. He finished the game going 1-for-4 with a single and a run scored. Third baseman Seth Mejias-Brean (2x4, 2 R, 2B) also collected multiple hits.
Center fielder Andrew Aplin (2x4, 2 2B, 4 RBI) led the way for Tacoma on offense, collecting a pair of two-run doubles to drive in all four of the Rainiers runs.
POSTGAME AUDIO: bit.ly/RainiersAudio
Rainiers starter Rob Whalen (7-6) lasted just 3.1 innings and allowed seven runs (four earned) on six hits while taking the loss, his sixth of the year. Whalen walked two, struck out one, and allowed two home runs while throwing 64 pitches (40 strikes).
Mike Morin (1.2 IP), Ryan Garton (2.0 IP), Marc Rzepczynski (0.2 IP), and Justin Grimm (1.1 IP) completed the game from the Rainiers bullpen. The group limited the Sky Sox to just one run on two hits while striking out six.
The Rainiers enjoy a day off on Wednesday before hitting the road for a four-game series at the Salt Lake Bees that begins on Thursday night at 6:05 p.m. PT. Tacoma will start right-hander Bryan Evans (4-1, 4.08) against Salt Lake righty Dylan Unsworth (6-0, 5.61).
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2018
- River Cats drop series finale in Nashville - Sacramento River Cats
- Sounds Sweep Homestand, Extend Winning Streak to Nine Games - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 7, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox Win 60th Game of Season with 8-4 Victory over Tacoma - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Rainiers Cut Down By Sky Sox, 8-4 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Sacramento River Cats (45-69) at Nashville Sounds (58-55) - Nashville Sounds
- 51s Host the Reno Aces from August 9-12 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Lopez, Omaha Shut out Salt Lake 5-0 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Overpowered in Loss to Las Vegas - Iowa Cubs
- Reno Aces Game Notes vs. OKC Dodgers - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (71-43) vs Fresno Grizzlies (65-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Rain, Storm Chasers End Bees Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- Sky Sox Announce Largest Fireworks Shows Ever - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Grizzlies Soliciting Proposals for Solar Installation - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Extend Winning Streak to Eight Games Behind Luzardo's Five Scoreless Innings - Nashville Sounds
- Beckham's Late Heroics Lift Rainiers Over Sky Sox 3-2 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Dodgers Falter Late in Reno - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Three Home Runs Propel Aces to Victory - Reno Aces
- Bats Help Chihuahuas Stay Hot - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Early Surge Sinks Round Rock 10-3 in El Paso - Round Rock Express
- Chasers Best Bees 5-4 in Rain-Shortened Triumph - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Cakes Make It Three in Row - New Orleans Baby Cakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Daren Brown Returns to Lead Rainiers Field Staff in 2019
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas