RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win
Gary, IN - Christian Vitters' two-run single in the sixth inning proved to be the difference as the RailCats (36-26) rode good pitching to defeat Sioux City (24-38) 3-2 on Monday night.
Trailing 2-0 in the sixth, the RailCats finally got to Preston Olson who'd held them to just three total baserunners through the first five innings. Danny Pulfer started the inning with a single and stood on second when Mike Massaro doubled to right-center to score the first run for the RailCats.
After a pitching change, Massaro stood on third and Craig Maddox stood on second when Vitters rolled a base hit through the right side to take the lead.
The RailCats bullpen combination of Taylor Sewitt, Ian Durham and Marco Gonzalez held the lead in relief of Stephen Hiscock.
Hiscock was removed after five innings in his first start since being activated from the inactive list. He allowed no runs on three hits and a pair of walks. Hiscock tied a season-high with seven strikeouts.
In the sixth, the Explorers broke through for the first offense of the night. With Taylor Sewitt on the mound, Legium Barroso singled to begin the inning and moved to third on Austin Gallagher's double to left.
Luke Murton followed with a ground ball towards the middle that Zac Mitchell fielded and threw low and away from first base to allow both Barroso and Gallagher to score. Sioux City held a 2-0 lead after the top of the sixth.
Preston Olson matched Hiscock with five straight zeros to begin the game. He was removed in the sixth inning after allowing an RBI double to Mike Massaro. Olson finished his sixth start of the year with two runs allowed on five hits and no walks. He struck out four.
In the seventh, Ian Durham entered with runners on first and second and one out and threw one pitch to get Legium Barroso to ground into a double play to end the threat.
Marco Gonzalez closed out the game for the RailCats by striking out the side with a fastball topping out at 93 miles per hour.
The RailCats continue their four game set with Sioux City on Tuesday night. RHP Billy Spottiswood (2-1, 4.58) will start for the RailCats, the Explorers will send RHP Dan Jurik (1-7, 4.72 ERA). The first pitch is scheduled for 7:10 p.m.
One lucky fan will have a chance to take three swings to hit a home run and if that lucky fan does hit it out of the park they'll win $10,000 in the RailCats July JACK-pot. For more information on July JACK-pot, call (219) 882-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Care Launched to Benefit Local Organizations
- RailCats Announce Latest Set of Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Front Office Additions Including American Association's First Female Lead Broadcaster
- RailCats to Honor Indiana Beach Passes During 2020 Season
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves