Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats
Gary, IN-----The Gary SouthShore Railcats defeated the Explorers here Monday night 3-2 in the first game of a four-game series.
Neither team scored in the first five innings, but the Explorers took a 2-0 lead in the sixth inning scoring their only two runs of the contest. Leugim Barroso led off the sixth with a base hit, his third hit of the game. With one out Austin Gallagher doubled to send Barroso to third base. Luke Murton got an infield hit that scored Barroso and Gallagher scored when the Gary shortstop Zac Mitchell threw the ball wide of first base attempting to retire Murton.
In the bottom of the sixth, Gary scored their three runs, one on a RBI double by Mike Massaro and the other two on a single by Christian Vitters.
It was the 17th one-run game the Explorers have played this season, losing ten as the Explorers have now lost 12 of their last 13 games.
Preston Olson pitched five and a third innings with a no-decision while Jimmer Kennedy pitched the final three and a third and took the loss.
The season series with Gary is now tied at three games apiece. The Explorers and RailCats will play again Tuesday at US Steel Yards with game time set for 7:15pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.