Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Wingnuts (42-21) lost 4-0 to the Amarillo Sox (33-26) at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium on Monday night.
The Sox scored the first run of the game in the top of the third inning. Jason Martin drew a leadoff walk against Wingnuts' starter Ryan Scoles and took second on K.C. Serna's groundout to third. After Joe Weik struck out, Jorge Delgado lined a single to center field that plated Martin.
In the top of the fourth, Chris Valencia hit a leadoff single to right field. Brandon Jones took Valencia's place on first after grounding into a fielder's choice. Trey Ford followed with a line drive, two-run homer to left-center that made it 3-0.
Scoles took the loss, allowing three earned runs on four hits in five innings. Scoles walked four and struck out two.
Serna singled home Ford with two outs in the top of the sixth for the game's final run.
Amarillo starter Joe Newby earned the win with eight-plus shutout innings. Newby allowed five hits, walked three, struck out three, and threw 135 pitches.
Nick Walters, Daniel Bennett, and Andrew Aizenstadt each worked a scoreless inning of relief.
Game two of the three-game series is Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. Justin Klipp faces right-hander J.J. Mitchell. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
Beginning this season, fans can use cash at all points of sale in Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Debit and credit cards will still be accepted.
For season tickets, group outings, or party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.