Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week
WICHITA, KS - Wichita Wingnuts' starting pitcher Chris Smith has been named the American Association's Pitcher of the Week for July 15th-21st.
Smith was 2-0 with a 0.61 ERA in two starts last week. On July 15th, Smith tossed eight shutout innings and struck out nine during the Wingnuts' 2-0 win at Sioux City. It marked the fifth consecutive start in which the right-hander pitched at least seven full innings. In yesterday afternoon's win versus Lincoln, Smith held the Saltdogs to just one earned run on three hits. The Apple Valley, CA native struck out a season-high 12 batters, one shy of tying a Wingunts' single-game record.
Smith is 7-3 in 12 starts this season with a 3.40 ERA. The 32-year-old Smith ranks tied for fourth in the American Association in wins, ninth in ERA, and second in strikeouts (81). Smith has allowed three or fewer earned runs in nine of 13 starts and has walked three or fewer in 12 of them.
Smith becomes the fifth Wingnuts' player to earn league honors this season.
2013 Wichita Wingnuts League Awards OF Jared McDonald - Batter of the Week (May 27th-June 2nd) OF David Amberson - Batter of the Week (June 10th-16th) 1B C.J. Ziegler - Batter of the Week (June 24th-30th) LHP Ryan Hinson - Pitcher of the Month (June) RHP Chris Smith - Pitcher of the Week (July 15th-21st)
The Wingnuts open a three-game series tonight against the Amarillo Sox. First pitch at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Ryan Scoles faces right-hander Joe Newby. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
Beginning this season, fans can use cash at all points of sale in Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Debit and credit cards will still be accepted.
For season tickets, group outings, or party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.