Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Wingnuts added two players to their roster on Monday, signing rookie outfielder Jonathan Davis and acquiring catcher Johnny Bowden from the United League's Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings in exchange for cash.
Davis recently completeed his college career at Kansas State University where he helped the Wildcatds reach the 2013 NCAA Super Regionals. The Juneau, AK native hit .302 with 49 runs scored, 14 doubles, five home runs, 42 RBI, and 10 stolen bases in 63 games played as a senior this past spring. A switch-hitter, Davis batted .316 as a junior in 2012 and also spent one season at Cal State Fullerton.
Bowden hit .318 with 22 runs scored, seven doubles, and nine RBI in 39 contests for Rio Grande Valley. A right-handed hitter and fielder, Bowden also drew 33 walks against just 28 strikeouts, and posted a .490 on-base percentage. Bowden split the 2011 season in the American Association with the Kansas City T-Bones and Gary SouthShore RailCats. The Orange, CA native has thrown out 29% of opposing base stealers in his career. Bowden was originally drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 41st round in 2007 out of the University of Southern California.
Both Davis and Bowden are in Wichita's starting lineup tonight.
To make room, the Wingnuts released catcher Scott Dalrymple and placed outfielder David Amberson on the Inactive List retroactive to July 18th due to injury.
The Wingnuts open a three-game series against the Amarillo Sox tonight at 7:05 p.m. Ryan Scoles faces right-hander Joe Newby. Individual tickets can be purchased by calling (316) 755-SEAT, or by visiting www.selectaseat.com
Beginning this season, fans can use cash at all points of sale in Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. Debit and credit cards will still be accepted.
For season tickets, group outings, or party packages, call the Wingnuts' main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts' official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.