Lemurs Split in West Texas
El Paso, TX - A three-run seventh inning Sunday night by the Diablos was enough to send the first-place Lemurs home with a 7-5 loss and a series split at Cohen Stadium.
El Paso (18-42) jumped on the Lemurs early with a three-run first, and added another tally in the sixth to lead it 4-0.ÃÂ Laredo (34-27) finally cracked the scoreboard but only after Diablos starter Justin Kuks was pulled for a reliever following the first out in the seventh with the bases empty.ÃÂ Right fielder Mike Sheridan and catcher Brian Peterson both walked.ÃÂ After another pitching change and the second out, second baseman Garrett Rau reached on an error to load the bases.ÃÂ The Lemurs then scored their first two runs on walks of left fielder Sawyer Carroll and short stop Jimmy Mojica.ÃÂ Following the third El Paso pitching change of the inning, first baseman John Alonso singled to drive in Rau and Carroll for a 4-4 tie.ÃÂ Laredo then took its first lead of the night as designated hitter John Allen singled to score Mojica from second.ÃÂ
The Lemurs lead was short-lived, though, as El Paso bounced back in the bottom of the seventh.ÃÂ Designated hitter Drew Coffey led off with a double that led to Laredo removing starter Jake Cowan.ÃÂ After a fielder's choice, short stop Maikol Gonzalez stole second and reached third on an error.ÃÂ Left fielder Oscar Mesa then walked and moved to second on a wild pitch.ÃÂ Second baseman Jose Garcia walked as well to load the bases with only one out.ÃÂ Right fielder Brian Joynt immediately singled to score two and give El Paso the lead back at 6-5.ÃÂ First baseman Jonathan Cisneros capped the scoring with a sacrifice fly to center that scored Garcia.ÃÂ The Lemurs threatened in the ninth with the first two batters reaching, but two strikeouts and a fly out ended the game.
Carlos Monasterios notched his first win of the season for the Diablos.ÃÂ Monasterios (1-6) pitched an inning of relief with one strikeout, one walk, and three base hits.ÃÂ Laredo reliever Chad Povich took the loss.ÃÂ Povich (1-2) allowed three runs (two earned) on two hits and two walks in one inning of work.ÃÂ Marshall Schuler picked up his fifth save of the season.ÃÂ He went one-and-a-third with two strikeouts, one walk, and one hit.ÃÂ At the plate, John Alonso and Mike Provencher each had two-hit nights for the Lemurs.ÃÂ Alonso also collected two RBI.ÃÂ
Laredo returns home for six games against Kansas City and South Division rival Amarillo.ÃÂ The series against the T-Bones starts Monday night at 7:30.ÃÂ For ticket information, visit www.laredolemurs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 22, 2013
- Lemurs Down T-Bones in Series Opener - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers Drop Series Opener To Railcats - Sioux City Explorers
- Lemurs Top T-Bones - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Blank Wingnuts in Series Opener - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- RailCats Ride Good Pitching to 3-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Goodwin Selected as League Hitter of the Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add K-State Star Davis - Wichita Wingnuts
- Wichita Wingnuts Game Notes - July 22nd, 2013 - Wichita Wingnuts
- Hiscock Returns to Rotation - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saltdogs Upcoming Promotions: July 23 - 28 - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lemurs Home Tonight for Six Games - Laredo Lemurs
- Chris Smith Tabbed as Pitcher of the Week - Wichita Wingnuts
- AirHogs get ready for July 23-28 Homestand and appearance on WFAA-TV (Ch. 8) - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- AirHogs End Road Trip on Positive Note - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Split in West Texas - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers Drop 13-10 Decision To Fargo - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.