Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (29-32, 14-12 2nd half) swept the day/night doubleheader against the Kalamazoo Growlers (37-25, 13-14 2nd half) taking the nightcap 12-4. After a 2-1 game one win in the early afternoon, the Rafters took a big lead early in game two and never looked back.
Wisconsin Rapids scored four times in the first. Ty Duvall (Vanderbilt) brought in the first run with an RBI sacrifice fly. Alex Fedje-Johnson (Davidson) scored on a wild pitch and Jack-Thomas Wold (UNLV) nailed a two-run home run to right to cap off the frame. Each team scored in the second. Fedje-Johnson hit an RBI base hit to center field. Zach Daniels brought in the Growlers run in the second. In the third, Ethan Stringer (Louisville) worked a bases-loaded walk to make it 6-1 Rafters after three.
The cranberry and gold plated five in the fourth on four hits. Wold collected an RBI sac fly, Victor Carlino (Long Beach State) and Payton Robertson (Louisiana State Shreveport) both brought in one on base hits. Stringer delivered the big hit with a two-run base hit ending his night 3-for-4 with three RBI. With an 11-1 lead, Wisconsin Rapids allowed two runs in the bottom of fourth from a two-run single by Daniels and an RBI sac fly in the sixth from Sam Hall. Duvall collected an RBI base hit in the ninth as the Rafters outslugged the Growlers 12-4.
Tyler Giovinco (3-1, 4.23 ERA) earned his third win of the season, striking out five in six innings. Jack Nelson (5-3, 4.36 ERA) suffered the loss allowing four earned runs in the first inning. Cole Waites (0-1, 2.45 ERA) earned the save, his first, pitching the final three innings.
The Rafters start the final series of the road trip tomorrow visiting the Battle Creek Bombers. First pitch from C.O. Brown Stadium is 6:05 pm CT/7:05 pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Rapids Rafters Stories
- Former Rafters Make a Splash in Professional Baseball
- Skyward and Rafters Hold 7th Annual Teacher of the Year Essay Contest
- Schiekofer Earns Rawlings 'Big Stick' Award
- Three Rafters Awarded Rawlings 'Finest in the Field'
- McCain Foods and Rafters Join Forces to End Hunger