Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water
Madison, Wis. - David Vinsky (Northwood) knocked in five runs while Jake Randa (NW Florida State) hit a pair of bombs in the Madison Mallards (16-11, 44-19) 15-5 win over the Lakeshore Chinooks (11-16, 27-35) on Thursday night at Warner Park. The Mallards tallied 16 hits and crushed four home runs, providing Mallards starter Sean Leland (Illinois) with plenty of run support. Madison led 9-2 when Leland departed after six efficient innings.
After Randa opened the scoring with a solo shot in the first inning, the Mallards added on to their lead in the third. After a Jesse Forestell (Western Michigan) leadoff single, Trevor Boone(Oklahoma State) crushed a towering two-run bomb to extend the lead to three runs. Later in the inning, following a Trevor Schwecke (UW-Milwaukee) base hit, David Vinskylaunched another two-run shot. Vinsky's home run gave the Mallards an early 5-0 lead and the Malllards first baseman later picked up three more RBIs on a three-run double in the fifth inning.
While the Mallards bats were on fire, Sean Leland was smoothly working through the Chinooks order. Leland held the Chinooks to just one hit through the game's first four frames, retiring ten straight at one point. The Chinooks first tally came on a solo shot in the fifth but Leland had displayed complete control of the ballgame. Leland exited after six innings and allowed only two runs on four hits and struck out two.
- Right fielder Jake Randa finished the night 3-for-4 with three RBI and a walk after adding a two run bomb in the bottom of the seventh inning. Randa now has seven home runs this season and has totaled 46 RBI.
- First baseman David Vinsky was 2-for-5 at the dish with five RBI in the Mallards victory. Vinsky collected his seventh home run of the summer and now has 46 RBI. Vinsky extended his hitting streak to 13 games with the big night at the plate.
- Sean Leland earned his fourth quality start and fourth win of the season in the Mallards blowout win, allowing only five batters to reach over his 6.0 innings of work.
- Second baseman Trevor Schwecke went 3-for-3 and scored three runs, posting his second three-hit game this week
- Trevor Boone launched his third home run of the summer and extended his hitting streak to six ballgames.
- Reliever Tanner Rogen (Oral Roberts) worked a pair of scoreless innings to seal the Mallards blowout victory, holding the Chinooks to one hit between the eighth and ninth innings.
The Mallards head to Lakeshore tomorrow looking for a series sweep at 6:35 PM at Kapco Park. The Mallards return home for a matchup on Saturday with the Kenosha Kingfish at 6:05 PM. The game will feature Star Wars Night with a custom jersey auction by Dentistry for Madison: Dr. Jay Hazen benefiting DAIS. Saturday night also features Stoddard's Country Grove Market Meat Raffle and Brat Appreciation Night. For tickets and more information visit mallardsbaseball.com. Make sure to catch every Mallards game on The Zone, 1670 AM and 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Rockers
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Madison Mallards Introduce the Maynard's Dozen
- Mallards Fall in Divisional Championship to Traverse City
- Mallards Head to Traverse City for Divisional Championship
- Mallards Sweep Dock Spiders to Advance to Divisional Championship
- Mallards Look to Clinch Series in Fond du Lac