Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks
The Bombers (30-32, 14-13) pick up two wins against the Wisconsin Woodchucks (25-36, 13-13) Wednesday at C.O. Brown to earn their first sweep since July 4th and 5th at Madison.
The two wins gave Battle Creek their sixth and seventh victories versus the Woodchucks. The Bombers won the season series seven games to one.
Game one was scoreless through three innings before the Woodchucks got on the board first in the top of the fourth. Zach DeLoach reached on an infield single and Domenic DeRenzo knocked him in with an RBI single off Battle Creek starting pitcher, Conrad Voss, to give Wisconsin a 1-0 lead.
Voss pitched seven innings and gave up three runs on seven hits while striking out two Woodchucks in route to his second victory of the season. Voss is now 2-0 in his first two appearances of the year.
Battle Creek bounced back with three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning off Wisconsin starting pitcher, Branson Hall. Connor Bailey and Mason Jones each delivered RBI singles to cap off the inning and give the Bombers a 3-1 lead.
The Woodchucks tied the game in the sixth on an RBI groundout by Reese Alexiades after Javier Valdes doubled to lead off the inning, and a solo home run from Alex Toral.
Hall pitched six innings for Wisconsin and gave up three runs on six hits while walking two Bombers and striking out six.
DJ Moreland came into pitch the seventh for Wisconsin and Battle Creek jumped on the right-handed reliever. Jalen Thomas walked, and Caleb Henderson drilled a pinch-hit double to begin the inning. Thomas then scored on a passed ball and Henderson was brought in with a sacrifice fly by Michael Brown.
The 5-3 lead held for Battle Creek as Carter Bair pitched two perfect innings to end the game and earned his first save of the season.
Game two was scoreless through the first three innings as well before the Woodchucks struck first in the top of the fourth on a two-run home run by Alexiades off Battle Creek starting pitcher, Dillon Sievert.
Sievert made his first start for the Bombers and pitched seven innings, gave up three runs on five hits and struck out seven Woodchucks to earn his first win in 2018.
The Bombers cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI single by Zach Gartner to score Jordan Swiss after he tripled to lead off the inning.
The score stayed 2-1 until the top of the seventh when Alexiades took Sievert deep once again to extend the Woodchuck lead to 3-1.
Then Battle Creek exploded for six runs in the bottom of the seventh. After Drake Osborn struck out to lead off the inning, Jake Wilson walked and Brown singled. Riley Tirotta delivered an RBI single to score Wilson, and Swiss hit a sacrifice fly to score Brown.
Henderson then knocked in Tirotta with a double and Gartner continued the inning with an infield single. They both came around to score on an error by the Wisconsin center fielder, Payton Nelson, on a blooper by Bailey. Will Baker added the finishing touch with an RBI double that scored Bailey.
Alex Kuster pitched a 1,2,3 eighth inning for Battle Creek and Noah Reed struck out the side in the ninth to end the game.
Battle Creek continues their last home stand of the season Thursday against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters. First pitch is set for 7:05 EST.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.