Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut
St. Cloud, MN - Former St. Cloud Rox pitcher Alex McRae made his Major League Baseball Debut with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday night.
McRae, a right-handed pitcher who played in St. Cloud during the 2013 Northwoods League season, appeared in relief on the mound in the fifth inning for the Pirates. He ended up tossing three innings, giving up just three hits and one run, while striking out three.
McRae is the second former Rox player to make his debut in the major leagues this season, joining Ben Meyer. McRae is the 26th former St. Cloud player to play in the major leagues, which is the most among Northwoods League franchises. He is also the 200th former Northwoods League player to reach the MLB level.
McRae played in 14 games for the Rox during the summer of 2013, where he held a record of 2-2 with one save. McRae finished with 29 strikeouts in 39.2 innings. The Jacksonville University alum from New Berlin, Wisconsin was drafted by Pittsburgh in the 10th round of the 2014 MLB Draft.
Prior to being called up by the Pirates, McRae appeared in 20 games with the Indianapolis Indians of the Triple A International League. In 98.1 innings of work, he struck out 87 batters to grab a record of 3-8 and an ERA of 4.76.
The Rox are in their seventh season of Northwoods League Baseball in 2018. St. Cloud returns home on Saturday, August 4 at 6:05 p.m. for Championship Bobblehead Giveaway Night presented by Capital One. The first 400 fans will receive a token to be redeemed for a bobblehead after the fifth inning.
Single game and group tickets for the entire season are on sale now. For more information on purchasing tickets, visit the Rox Ticket Office on the west end of the Municipal Athletic Complex, call 320-240-9798 or visit www.stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
Pitcher Alex McRae
Former St. Cloud Rox pitcher Alex McRae
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Cloud Rox Stories
- Rox Announce Schedule for 2020 Season
- Rodriguez to Return as Rox Field Manager in 2020 Along with Assistants Bellamy and Miklos
- Rox Raise Record $76,255 for Charity During 2019 Season
- Rox Close Historic 2019 Season with Many Highlights
- St. Cloud Battles with Willmar, Falls to Stingers in the Playoffs