Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First
Willmar, Minn.- Home sweet home. On Wednesday the Willmar Stingers took on the Duluth Huskies in a day night double header starting with the first game at 1:05 pm. Coming into the game the Stingers were two games behind the Huskies for first place in the North Division.
The first game was a fast game that ended up the right way for the Stingers. The combination of Louie Varland's (Concordia) stellar pitching and Jayson Newman's (Cal State Northridge) power led the Stingers to a 3-1 victory.
Varland in game one was outstanding going seven innings, striking out five and allowing just six hits and no earned runs. Varland was credited with the win.
Newman in game one had the biggest blow of the afternoon. Newman in the third inning after one run had already come across faced his teammate from Cal-State Northridge Hayden Shenefield. The at-bat was a classic, Newman after going down 0-2 saw nine more pitches and finished the at bat with a booming two run homer to right center field giving the Stingers a 3-0 lead.
Duluth got one run across but the Stingers held on as Nick Mears (Sac City) got the save in the ninth.
In game two it was more of the same. Sam Gardner (Alabama) was great on the mound for Willmar. Gardner's offense backed him and led the Stingers to a 6-1 victory.
Gardner in game two went six innings and allowed only one run to come across. Gardner also punched out four Huskies.
Offensively the Stingers got offense from different parts of the order. Matt Rudick (San Diego St) contributed with two hits and two RBIs, Joey Ortiz (New Mexico St) did the same with the two combining for four hits and four RBIs. On the night the Stingers compiled 17 hits, and drove in six runs.
Willmar now holds a share of first place with the Huskies.
The 2018 Stingers season is presented by Marcus Construction. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
CDI Player of the Game
Tonight's Center for Diagnostic Imaging player of the game was Louie Varland. CDI is your local medical imaging provider. It's your choice where you go for medical imaging, for MRI, CT, mammograms and pain injections, choose CDI. Visit online at myCDI.com/CentralMN.
Louie Varland - RHP
Conordia St. Paul
7 IP, 5 K, 0 ER
Images from this story
Willmar Stingers fielding
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Willmar Stingers Stories
- Cardinal Alum Drey Dirksen Signs with Stingers
- West Central Minnesota Baseball Hall of Fame Announces the Class of 2020 Inductees
- The Holiday Express Train Is Coming to Willmar
- 2020 Stingers Schedule Announced
- Four Familiar Names Set to Return for the 2020 Stingers Season