Honkers Shutout at Home
(Rochester, Minn.) - The Rochester Honkers offense was held to one hit as they were blanked by the St. Cloud Rox 2-0 Thursday at Mayo Field. The Rox snapped a three-game losing streak to improve to 14-13 in the second half and 30-33 overall. The loss halts a two-game winning streak for the Honkers as they fall to 13-14 and 30-33.
Neither team could get much offense going until the Rox got on the board in the fifth. Ryan Weisenberg (Georgetown) singled to center to bring in a run and put St. Cloud up 1-0.
St. Cloud added an insurance run in the seventh as Landon Stephens (Miami Ohio) came around to score on a balk and give the Rox a 2-0 advantage.
Despite making his best start of the summer, Honkers starting pitcher Drew Slade (Ripon) took the loss. Slade spun 6 1/3 innings and gave up two runs on four hits. Michael Brandt (Augustana) came in relief to work 2 2/3 innings giving up no runs on one hit and struck out three.
Matt Hardy (UC Riverside) singled to center field in the first inning for the Honkers lone hit of the contest.
Rox starting pitcher Will Warren (Southeastern Louisiana) picked up his first win after tossing eight one-hit innings.
The Honkers take on the Rox in the series finale Friday at Mayo Field for Fireworks Extravaganza presented by AmericInn. Cole Quintanilla (Texas) is scheduled to start for the Honkers, the right-hander has posted a 3.85 ERA and a 1-1 record. Evan Johnson (Creighton) is scheduled to start for the Rox, Johnson has recorded a 4-0 record and a 1.83 ERA. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.