Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders
Green Bay , WI. - The Green Bay Bullfrogs (23-39, 11-15) drop a pair of games in the day-night doubleheader against the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (35-26, 14-12), falling 8-0 in game one and by a score of 10-6 in game two. The Dock Spiders finish the 2018 season series with a 7-1 record over Green Bay. The Bullfrogs lose their third straight game.
Both teams were held scoreless through the first five frames of action before Fond du Lac exploded for a seven-run sixth inning to grab a commanding 7-0 advantage.
The Dock Spider's scoring surge began with a lead-off triple by Tyler Wardwell followed with a RBI single by Andrew Bullock to break the scoreless tie. Duncan Hewitt tallies a RBI fielder's choice before Jack Wassel's RBI single stretched the lead to 3-0. Two more runs scored on a Bullfrog error and then a Zac Taylor sacrifice fly capped the inning to make it a seven-run contest.
Fond du Lac tacked on an insurance run in the eighth inning with a lead-off solo home run by Cole Zabowski to extend the margin to 8-0.
Andre Antone (Freshman, UC Irvine) led the Green Bay offense, finishing 1-for-2 with a double and two walks. Keaton Smith (Junior, Nevada) contributed a 1-for-3 effort at the plate.
Fond du Lac starting pitcher Austin Wagner earned the win, improving to 6-1. Green Bay starter Ryan Gowens (Senior, Arizona) took the loss, dropping to 1-2.
The Dock Spiders jumped out to an early 3-0 advantage in the opening frame off Bullfrogs starter Justin Bureau (Senior, Ave Maria Univ.) on a two-run single by Wardwell and Bullock scoring on a wild pitch. Green Bay tallied its first run of the doubleheader on a RBI single by Blaise Maris (Sophomore, Florida Tech) to trim the margin to 3-1 in the top of the second.
Fond du Lac scratched across three more runs in the bottom of the second inning on a Taylor RBI single and Bullock two-run double to make it a 6-1 game. Preston Pavlica (Junior, Grand Canyon Univ.) stole home plate in the third inning to bring the deficit down to 6-2; however, the Dock Spider's offense remained hot with three additional runs in the bottom frame to extend the lead to 9-2.
The Bullfrogs added another run in the fourth on a RBI ground out by Brian Davis (Freshman, Gordon State Coll.) to make it 9-3. Green Bay then cut the deficit down to 9-6 in the visiting half of the fifth inning. The scoring commenced with Antone lacing a two-run double along with a RBI single from Smith to make it a three-run ballgame.
Green Bay was kept off the board for the remainder of the contest. Fond du Lac notched one more insurance run in the sixth inning on a RBI single by Jordan Prendiz.
Antone topped the Bullfrogs offensive charts for the second straight game, finishing 2-for-4 with two RBIs. Maris went 2-for-5 with a run driven in, while Smith was 1-for-3 with a RBI and run scored.
Fond du Lac starting pitcher Bubba Horton got the win, improving to 2-1. Bureau took the loss, dropping to 1-6. Dock Spiders relief pitcher Connor Cook earned his first save of the season.
The Green Bay Bullfrogs venture to Loves Park, Ill. to face the Rockford Rivets for a two-game series. First pitch is slated for a 6:35 p.m. tomorrow night at Rivets Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 2, 2018
- Warren Shines on the Mound, Rox Beat Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Big Behind McCraith's Gem on the Mound - Battle Creek Bombers
- Mallards Blow Chinooks out of the Water - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Lose Twice - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- â??Rockford loses late lead and falls to Green Bay 4-3 - Rockford Rivets
- Honkers Shutout at Home - Rochester Honkers
- Late Comeback Falls Short, Bucks Drop 8-6 Final to Loggers - Waterloo Bucks
- Growlers Top Dock Spiders in a Close One - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Former Rox Alex McRae Makes MLB Debut - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Start Final Series of Road Trip with Bombers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Battle Creek Sweeps Double Header against the Woodchucks - Battle Creek Bombers
- Former St. Cloud Rox Pitcher Alex McRae Debuts with the Pirates - Northwoods
- Frogs Swept in Doubleheader by Dock Spiders - Green Bay Booyah
- Rivets Bounce back for Doubleheader Split - Rockford Rivets
- Just Like That, the Stingers Are Back in First - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters' Early Offense Delivers Sweep of Growlers - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Green Bay Booyah Stories
- Booyah Announce 2021 Northwoods League Schedule
- Family Math...With a Focus on Fun and You
- Booyah Announce Rocky Bal-Booyah's Turkey Day Coloring Contest
- Booyah Announces Rocky Bal-Booyah's Turkey Day Coloring Contest
- Booyah Announce Ticket Package Pricing and Renewal Information for 2021 Season