Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence
Indy Eleven vs. Charlotte Independence
Sunday, August 25, 2019 - 6:00 P.M. ET
Lucas Oil Stadium | Indianapolis, IN
Local/National TV: MyINDY-TV 23
Streaming Video: ESPN+ (click for a free 7-day trial)
Radio (Spanish): Exitos Radio 1590 AM
In-game updates: @IndyElevenLive Twitter feed, presented by Honda
Setting the Table:
Indy Eleven: 13W-4L-4D, 43 pts., 5th in Eastern Conference
Charlotte Independence: 5W-10L-10D, 25 pts., 12th in Eastern Conference
Click here for the full USL Championship standings
First 2019 Meeting:
Indy Eleven 3 : 2 Charlotte Independence | Friday, March 15
The Boys in Blue staved off two late goals at Charlotte Independence to secure a 3-2 victory in Week Two of USL Championship play. Goals from midfielders Macauley King and Tyler Gibson, in addition to a third from former teammate Thomas Enevoldsen were enough to maintain the lead and begin a four-game win streak that ended on April 28.
Last Time Out:
Indy Eleven 2 : 1 Saint Louis FC | Sunday, August 18
Indy Eleven's relationship with late-game drama continued to burn bright after an 81st minute goal from forward Dane Kelly grabbed another three points last Sunday, lifting the undefeated run at Lucas Oil Stadium to 19 games, a streak that started on July 7, 2018. Midfielder in form Tyler Pasher scored the game's opening goal, and his ninth of the season, in the 67th minute before Kelly doubled the lead. Forward Eugene Starikov also returned to the field for the first time since March 30 and new signee Drew Conner made his debut for Indy.
Charlotte Independence 1 : 3 Nashville SC | Saturday, August 17
Charlotte Independence fell to Nashville on Saturday night after midfielder Enzo Martinez's equalizer in the 23rd minute was nullified by a pair of second-half goals by Nashville's Daniel Rios and Kharlton Belmar. The loss extends Charlotte's winless streak to five, with their last victory dating back to a 2-1 win over Saint Louis on July 13.
Indy Eleven has an all-time record of 2W-0L-1D against Charlotte Independence, scoring five goals and allowing three goals in the three meetings.
Indy has a chance to extend its 19-game home undefeated streak (12W-0L-7D) to 20 on Sunday, with the possibility of equaling the longest undefeated home streak in Indy Eleven history against the team the current streak began against on July 7, 2018 (Charlotte Independence).
Indy Eleven remains undefeated through 11 games at home in 2019 (7W-0L-4D). The Boys in Blue have scored 12 goals while allowing just three, and recorded eight clean sheets.
A victory on Sunday night could see the Boys in Blue jump as high as a three-way tie for second place in the Eastern Conference standings, pending a Tampa Bay Rowdies and Nashville SC loss over the weekend, in addition to having at least two games in hand on the leading teams.
Indiana's Team is level with Tampa Bay Rowdies for least goals conceded in the league, allowing just 16 goals in 21 games while recording a total of 10 clean sheets, which sees the side tied for third most across both USL Championship conferences.
Sunday night's match will feature two historic goal scorers in USL Championship all-time leading goal scorer Dane Kelly (72 goals) and runner up all-time leading goal scorer in Charlotte forward Jorge Herrera (71 goals).
Charlotte looks to end its five-game winless streak(0W-3L-2D).
Charlotte's Aaron Maund will return to Indiana after spending 2008-11 in the Hoosier state playing collegiately with Notre Dame Fighting Irish Men's Soccer, in addition to spending one year with former USL Premier Development club Indiana Invaders in 2011. Goalkeeper Brandon Miller also spent one year in 2010 with Indiana Invaders.
The Independence will also feature former Major League Soccer heavyweight Dominic Oduro who made 346 MLS appearances during his 12-year career in first division American soccer.
Indy Eleven Player to Watch | DF Neveal Hackshaw
When not on international duty, Neveal Hackshaw has been the man tasked with handling the left side of Head Coach Martin Rennie's backline. The Trinidad & Tobago international has been Rennie's go-to defender, playing every minute of the 17 starts he's received in his first year with the team. He's been a prolific defender since signing for the Boys in Blue, working in tandem with the likes of Paddy Barrett and Karl Ouimette to keep the opposing attack at bay.
The 23-year-old's transition from the midfield to the back third has also contributed to his excellent passing numbers. Hackshaw has completed 81% of his passes this season in addition to contributing two goals. He'll be tasked with keeping forwards Jorge Herrera and Dominic Oduro quiet on the flanks against Charlotte on Sunday.
Charlotte Independence Player to Watch | MF Enzo Martinez
Enzo Martinez's 23rd minute equalizer was Charlotte's lone goal against Nashville SC in the previous loss to the Tennessean side.. Normally though, the 2016 and 2017 All-League First Team member acts as the team's creator rather than goal scorer.
Martinez leads Charlotte with six assists through 23 appearances. The 28-year-old leads his side in chances created as well, supplying 44 scoring opportunities for his teammates, nearly 10 more chances created than the next in line. The Boys in Blue back third will have to keep an eye on Martinez come Sunday, as he created two chances, one of which led to an assist, in the previous meeting between both teams.
Match-up to Mark | Indy FW Dane Kelly vs. Charlotte FW Jorge Herrera
Sunday night's fixture will feature a marquee matchup between the USL Championship's all-time leading goal scorer in Indy forward Dane Kelly and the runner up to the title in Charlotte's Herrera.
In his last time out, Kelly broke his 13-game goalless streak when he toe-tipped the winning goal past Saint Louis FC 'keeper Tomas Gomez in the 81st minute. The goal was the Jamaican's fifth of the season. putting him back atop the all-time goal scoring chart in league history with 72 regular season goals to his name. His pace and power in the final third make Kelly difficult for centre-backs to track and contain, as he showed against Saint Louis when he bodied off a centre-back and applied the finishing touch to claim three points. Kelly has a bone to pick with Charlotte, after he hit the crossbar in the first meeting between the two sides.
A goal for Herrera on Sunday night would bring the Columbian back on level terms with Kelly for most goals scored in all-time Championship play. The 38-year-old has netted six times in 2019, making him the sides second highest goal scorer behind Oduro. In his last three games, he's contributed to three goals, scoring one and assisting the other two. Herrera will look to keep in form going against the Boys in Blue, but may find it difficult as he failed to put a single shot on target the last time he faced Indiana's Team.
Indy Eleven will look to continue its climb up the Eastern Conference standings this Sunday, Aug. 25, when Indiana's Team plays host to Charlotte Independence (5W-10L-10D, 25 pts., 12th in East). Kickoff for the team's "Red Out Night" contest - for which fans are encouraged to wear their favorite red gear to Lucas Oil Stadium - is set for 6:00 p.m. (live on WISH-TV 8), and tickets remain available for as little as $15 at indyeleven.com/tickets or by calling 317-685-1100.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- Ellison Brewing Co. to Create Craft Beer Inspired by Indy Eleven
- Eleven's 2020 Season Ends after Loss at Saint Louis FC
- Indy Eleven Looks to Clinch Playoff Berth in Regular Season Finale at Saint Louis FC
- Last-Minute SKC Goal Breaks 1-1 Draw, Setting Up Showdown Between Indy Eleven and Saint Louis FC for Playoff Berth
- Defender Ayoze Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 14