San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (9-9-7) beat New Mexico United (8-7-10) 5-0 at Toyota Field on Saturday night. A brace from Cristian Parano and goals from Brian Gomez, Frank Lopez, and Walter Restrepo earned the club its biggest win in franchise history as well as the team's 50th all-time win in USL Championship play.
"This week we learned a lesson from last weekend, which I thought was very important," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "Our players made sure they applied themselves in the second half and now we need to make sure we get ready and prepare ourselves for the road trip next Friday."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 28th minute when Restrepo found Parano just inside the box, from where the midfielder cut past a defender and buried it past goalkeeper Cody Mizell for the 1-0 lead.
The Alamo City club double its lead just 11 minutes later after Parano played Gomez out on the wing. The Argentinian dribbled into the box and fired a powerful, low shot to the far-post to make it 2-0.
Forward Frank Lopez then added the third of the night in the 56th minute after Parano dribbled down midfield and played him in with a through-ball which the striker finished to score his 11th goal of the season. Restrepo then found a goal of his own after a pass from Jack Barmby found him inside the box from where he slotted the ball into the back of the net to make it 4-0. Parano then concluded the night with his second goal of the game from a long-range strike in the 90th minute off an assist from midfielder Michael Lahoud.
Following tonight's match, Parano has scored seven goals and recorded four assists on the season, with five of his goals coming in his last three matches. Meanwhile, Restrepo scored his first goal in league play while recording his sixth assist of the season, with four coming in the previous three matches as well. Barmby recorded his third assist of the season and fifth in all competitions, while Lahoud recorded his first assist for the club.
San Antonio FC will return to USL Championship action on Friday, August 30 as the club visits Tacoma Defiance at 9 p.m. CT in the first of two consecutive away matches.
SAFC: 1-0, Cristian Parano (Walter Restrepo assist) 28'
SAFC: 2-0, Brian Gomez (Cristian Parano assist) 40'
SAFC: 3-0, Frank Lopez (Cristian Parano assist) 56'
SAFC: 4-0, Walter Restrepo (Jack Barmby assist) 66'
SAFC: 5-0, Cristian Parano (Michael Lahoud assist) 90'
NMU: Red Card (Saalih Muhammad) 21'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Joshua Yaro) 36'
SAFC: Yellow Card (Kai Greene) 42'
NMU: Yellow Card (Juan Guzman) 67'
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Kai Greene, Eby Ackon, Joshua Yaro; M: Moises Hernandez, Pecka (c) Michael Lahoud 83'), Cristian Parano, Jack Barmby; F: Walter Restrepo, Frank Lopez (Billy Forbes 76'), Brian Gomez
Substitutions Not Used: Jonathan Viscosi, Johnny Fenwick, Pascal Eboussi, Lance Laing, Ever Guzman
San Antonio FC recorded a 5-0 win over New Mexico, earning the club's 50th win all-time in USL Championship play...SAFC splits the season series with New Mexico after falling 0-3 to United on the road earlier this season
SAFC scored five goals in a single match for the first time in team history...the 5-0 win also marks the largest margin of victory for the Alamo City club...SAFC is has now scored 15 goals in their last five games, compiling a 3-1-1 record over those matches
San Antonio FC Head Coach Darren Powell earns his 50th win as head coach of SAFC...Powell's league record in San Antonio stands at 50-37-34 and the England native is the only current USL Championship Western Conference head coach with at least 50 league wins
San Antonio FC midfielder Cristian Parano was named the SWBC Man of the Match after scoring two goals and recording two assists along with five key passes and six successful dribbles...over his last three matches Parano has scored five goals and recorded two assists
San Antonio FC midfielder Walter Restrepo scored his first league goal of the season and added his sixth assist in the win...Restrepo has now recorded four assists in his last three games as his six total lead the team and are tied for the fifth most in the USL Championship
SAFC forward Frank Lopez and midfielder Brian Gomez scored their 11th and fifth goals respectively in the win...Lopez has now scored five in his seven matches since joining SAFC while Gomez scored his first since 7/27 vs. Real Monarchs SLC
SAFC midfielders Jack Barmby and Michael Lahoud each recorded an assist in the win...the pass marks the third assist for Barmby in league play this season, and fifth in all competitions...Lahoud's assist is his first with SAFC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC to Celebrate Final Home Match with $1 Drink Night, Postgame Fireworks Show on Saturday
- San Antonio FC Forward Ever Guzman Named USL Championship Player of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season
- Match Between Tigres UANL and Club Atletico de San Luis at Toyota Field Cancelled