ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic
HARTFORD, CT. - Atlanta United 2 lost 3-2 to Hartford Athletic Saturday night at Dillon Stadium. Andrew Carleton scored his first goal of the season and added an assist while Brandon Vazquez netted his third goal of the year.
After falling behind 1-0 from a Hartford penalty in the 27th minute, ATL UTD 2 stormed back in the second half with a pair of goals in less than two minutes. Vazquez and Luiz Fernando attempted a give-and-go just outside of the 18-yard box, but the return pass to Vazquez was behind the striker and he flicked it to Carleton trailing on the right side of the penalty area. The midfielder ran on to the ball where he blasted a shot from an acute angle into the roof of the net to equalize in the 57th minute.
Less than two minutes later, Carleton delivered a perfectly-weighted ball across the field for Jack Metcalf. The captain delivered a one-time cross on the end line that was placed directly on the head of Vazquez where he poked it to the far corner to take a 2-1 lead.
Hartford equalized in the 77th minute when Jose Angulo sent a cross from the right side to the back post where Wojciech Wojcik headed the ball past Brendan Moore. After Carleton was given a red card for a foul on Mads Jorgensen in the 85th minute, Hartford benefited from the one-man advantage as Wojcik scored the game-winner in the 89th minute when he headed in a cross from Elliot Hord.
ATL UTD 2 (5-14-5, 20 points) returns to action Wednesday, Aug. 28 against Memphis 901 FC at 7:30 p.m. EST at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
Atlanta 2, Hartford 3
Shots: 18-17 Hartford
Shots on Target: 8-6 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 3-1 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 14-11 Hartford
Saves: 6-3 Hartford
Offside: 3-3 Tied
Possession: 53-47 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 84-79 Atlanta
HAR - Ryan Williams (penalty) 27'
ATL - Andrew Carleton (Brandon Vazquez) 57'
ATL - Brandon Vazquez (Jack Metcalf, Andrew Carleton) 59'
HAR - Wojciech Wojcik (Jose Angulo) 77'
HAR - Wojciech Wojcik (Elliot Hord) 89'
ATL - Laurence Wyke (yellow) 50'
HAR - Danny Barrera (yellow) 81'
ATL - Andrew Carleton (red) 85'
HAR - Wojciech Wojcik (yellow) 90'
ATLANTA UNITED 2 STARTING LINEUP
Brendan Moore; Garrison Tubbs, Laurence Wyke (Bienvenue Kanakimana - 80'), Tyler Ruthven, George Bello; Jack Metcalf ©, Kevin Kratz (Mikey Ambrose - 61'), William Reilly; Luiz Fernando (José Hernández - 72'), Andrew Carleton, Brandon Vázquez.
Substitutes not used: Jackson Conway, Guillermo BenÃ-tez, Alessandro Castro, Dylan Castanheira.
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP
Cody Cropper; Elliot Hord, Logan Gdula (Wojciech Wojcik - 68'), Kyle Curinga, Sem de Wit, Ryan Williams (Jose Angulo - 68'), Harry Swartz, Sebastian Dalgaard, Mads Jorgensen, Hugh Alexander Dixon (Giuseppe Gentile - 82'), Danny Barrera.
Substitutes not used: Nicky Downs, Michael Novotny, Jacob Lissek.
Lorant Varga (referee), Tom Felice (assistant), Ian Mangione (assistant), Randall Kelley (fourth official)
Andrew Carleton scored his first goal of the season and dished out his third assist
Brandon Vazquez netted his third goal of the season and his second assist
Jack Metcalf recorded his third assist of the year
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.