Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC (6-12-5, 13th place in East) comes off the bye week and hosts 2019 USL Championship expansion side Birmingham Legion FC (8-10-5, 10th place in East) at Talen Energy Stadium this Sunday at 6:00 p.m. ET. The match is a big opportunity for the Steel to make up ground on the Legion, with the home side trailing Birmingham by six points for the final playoff spot in the East, making this a playoff-caliber game at Talen Energy Stadium.
The Boys in Blue had a tough task last time out, in trying to shut down a steam rolling Nashville SC side on the road on August 10. The Steel did just that behind seven second-half saves from goalkeeper Todd Morton and an acrobatic goal-line clearance from defender Walter Cortés that involved a bicycle kick from the Costa Rican. Morton's stops earned him a USL Championship Team of the Week nod in his first shutout for the Pennsylvania side, but the Steel defense was a key part in the clean sheet. Nashville didn't have a single shot on target through the entirety of the first half and Brendan Burke's side will look to carry that same mentality forward towards Birmingham.
Steel FC downed the Legion 2-0 away in the Alabama side's inaugural match back in March. Birmingham has made plenty of changes since then. MLS loanees Eddie Opoku and J.J. Williams from Columbus Crew SC have invigorated Tom Soehn's team. They are on a run of incredible form in which they've earned a 1-0 win at the Tampa Bay Rowdies and gone 5-0-1 with six clean sheets. Opoku is expected to miss this match due to injury, as are veteran midfielder Daigo Kobayashi and former Union draft pick Chandler Hoffman. Even without key players, this is not the same team that the Steel saw to open their 2019 campaign. Look for Philadelphia Union forward Michee Ngalina to make an impact, as well as Faris who looks to be injury free with his absence from the injury report.
The Steel host expansion side Birmingham Legion FC at Talen Energy Stadium on Sunday, August 25 at 6:00 p.m. ET. Tickets are available here, with the match set to be broadcast on ESPN+.
2019 USL Championship Regular Season
Date: August 25, 2019
Kickoff: 6:00 p.m. ET
Location: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pa.
Referee: Elijio Arreguin
Assistant Referees: Justen Lopez; Amilcar Sicaju
Fourth Official: Melvin Holmes II
Bethlehem Steel FC: 6-12-5, 13th place
Birmingham Legion FC: 8-10-5, 10th place
Match Day Twitter: @BSteelFC
Game Day Hashtag: #BSTvBHM
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Faris scores seventh goal of 2019, 10th goal of Steel FC career in setback
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Take on Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Steel battle back from a one-goal deficit, twice, to beat Loudoun United FC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night
- Bethlehem Steel FC Falls to Indy Eleven 2-1