Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento
PHOENIX (August 23rd, 2019) - Phoenix Rising FC only scored one official goal, but it was enough to extend their $1 Beer Night winning streak to 14 matches following a 2-1 win over Sacramento Republic. The club also extended its overall win streak to 15 matches and it's home unbeaten streak to 16 matches.
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising is now 14-0-0 on $1 Beer Nights.
Phoenix Rising extends its winning streak to 15 matches.
Phoenix Rising extends its home unbeaten streak and sellout streak to 16 matches.
Phoenix Rising set a new club record for goals scored in a season (64)
The sellout crowd of 7,406, Rising's 16th consecutive sellout, was silenced early when a defensive miscue led to a Sacramento goal for Cameron Iwasa to give Republic FC a quick 1-0 lead.
But it didn't take long for Rising to even the score.
In the seventh minute, with Rising on the front foot, forward Junior Flemmings let a shot fly from the right flank of the box and toward the target. Sacramento's Juan Barahona tried redirecting the shot off target, but instead, he put it into the back of his own net to make it 1-1.
Then in the 44th minute, following a Rising free-kick into the box, Kevon Lambert headed the ball back toward the top of the box. From the outside of the box, Solomon Asante took a shot for the target. The shot deflected off defender Joe Farrell and past the goalkeeper for the eventual game-winner.
Farrell's goal was the club's 64th of the season, setting a new single-season record for team goals in the regular season.
Phoenix Rising has little time to dwell on the win. The club is back in action on Tuesday, August 27th, at Tacoma Defiance. It's the first of a two-match road swing that includes a trip to Colorado Springs to square off with Switchbacks FC. Both matches with air on Your PHX CW (channels 6 & 61.1) with the Augst 27th match slated to kickoff at 7:00 p.m.
PHOENIX RISING FC 2-1 SACRAMENTO REPUBLIC FC
SAC: 2', 31-Cameron Iwasa
PHX: 7', 15-Juan Barahona (own goal)
PHX: 44', 15-Joey Farrell (20-Solomon Asante)
SAC: 49', 15-Juan Barahona (caution)
PHX: 66', 8-Pete-Lee Vassell (caution)
SAC: 70', 30-Jordan McCrary (caution)
PHX: 85', 2-Doueugui Mala (caution)
PHX: 90', 2-Doueugui Mala (caution) (ejection)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 2-Doueugui Mala, 15-Joey Farrell, 24-Mustapha Dumbuya; 27-Kevon Lambert (88', 21-Joey Calistri), 19-José Aguinaga (61', 8-Peter-Lee Vassell), 10-Jon Bakero (81', 41-James Musa); 7-Junior Flemmings, 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 3-A.J. Cochran, 16-Austin Ledbetter, 22-Ben Spencer, 32- Kyle Bjornethun
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Advances to USL Championship Final with 4-2 Win in Penalties
- Western Conference Final Tonight vs. El Paso
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes
- Rick Schantz Resumes as Phoenix Rising FC Head Coach
- Rising Advance to Western Conference Finals with 5-4 Win in Penalties