Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC
(SAN ANTONIO, Texas) Playing with 10 men for 70 minutes of a match is never going to be easy, and a methodical San Antonio FC attack made Saturday's road match for New Mexico United even more difficult, as the hosts won 5:0.
In the 21st minute, following a New Mexico United set play, referee Jon Freemon showed New Mexico midfielder Saalih Muhammad a straight red card. Later reports explained that the card was a result of "offensive language." San Antonio capitalized on the man advantage almost immediately. SAFC's Crisitan Parano scored the first goal of the evening, in the 28th minute, assisted by Walter Restrepo. Parano would then assist teammate Brian Gomez in the 39th minute.
The second half saw continued dominance from the hosts. Parano tallied his second assist on the night, when he found Frank Lopez on the right side of the box in the 56th minute. Ten minutes later, Walter Restrepo netted one of his own. Parano capped off his excellent evening with a stoppage time goal to complete his brace.
Only 2 of New Mexico's 13 strikes challenged SAFC Keeper Matt Cardone, and the short sided squad clearly affected their ability to retain possession and create in the final third.
Up Next: United return home for a September 1 match with Orange County SC.
SA: Parano: 28', 90'; Gomez, 39'; Lopez, 56'; Restrepo, 66'
NM: Muhammad, 21' (Red); Guzman, 67' (Yellow)
SA: Yaro, 36' (Yellow); Greene, 42' (Yellow)
NM: Shots: 13 Shots on Goal: 2 Saves: 3 Fouls: 13 Corner Kicks: 4 Offside: 2
POR: Shots: 18 Shots on Goal: 8 Saves: 2 Fouls: 12 Corner Kicks: 4 Offside: 2
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 24, 2019
- El Paso Locomotive FC Drop 1-0 in Edinburg, TX to RGV - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Bird's Lone Goal Earns Toros Three Points at Home against Locomotive - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Higashi's Goal Not Enough, Akinyode Wins It Late for Nashville. - Charleston Battery
- San Antonio FC Earns 50th All-Time League Win in 5-0 Victory over New Mexico United - San Antonio FC
- Akinyode's Stunner at the Death Wins It for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- Shorthanded New Mexico United Fall San Antonio FC - New Mexico United
- Memphis 901 FC Falls at Tampa Bay - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Preview - Fresno FC
- ATL UTD 2 Falls 3-2 at Hartford Athletic - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Wins 3-2; Remains Undefeated on $2 Beer Night - Hartford Athletic
- Lineup Notes: Nashville SC vs. Charleston Battery - Nashville SC
- North Carolina FC Falls to Louisville City FC 1-0 in Hard Fought Battle - North Carolina FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Birmingham Legion FC on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Comeback Falls Short with 2-1 Loss Away to Ottawa Fury - Saint Louis FC
- RGV FC Acquire MF Deshane Beckford on Loan from Montego Bay United - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Nashville SC Eager for Challenging Match against Hungry Charleston Battery Side - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity Hosts North Carolina at 3 p.m. - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Signs Former Academy Goalkeeper Ryan Cretens - North Carolina FC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Continues Homestand vs. Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Remains Undefeated on $1 Beer Night Following Gritty 2-1 Win over Sacramento - Phoenix Rising FC
- Iwasa sets another club record, but SRFC fall to the Western Conference leaders in Arizona - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.