Playoff Run Comes to End as Wings Fall in Game 6
Cincinnati, OH. - A first period power play goal ended up being the game-winning goal as the K-Wings saw their season end with a 4-0 defeat at the hands of the Cincinnati Cyclones on Tuesday night. Cincinnati topped the K-Wings 4-2 in the best-of-seven series to advance to the second round of the playoffs.
The Cyclone power play got the scoring started just 1:15 into regulation as Jesse Schultz scored his third goal of the post-season. Schultz stepped into the offensive zone and snapped a shot just under the crossbar, giving the Cyclones a 1-0 lead.
In the second period the Cyclones got a pair of goals from captain Justin Vaive to push the lead to 3-0. Vaive's first goal came just 3:11 into the period as the forward lifted a backhand towards the net that deflected off a body and past Jake Hildebrand to give Cincinnati a 2-0 lead. Five minutes later the Cyclones added to the lead again. Spencer Dorowicz found Vaive wide open on the back door after being denied by Hildebrand himself. Vaive tapped the puck past Hildebrand, giving the Cyclones the 3-0 lead.
Cincinnati would add an empty net goal late in regulation to cap off the scoring as Brady Vail pushed the Cyclone lead to 4-0. Kalamazoo ended the night putting 30 shots on Michael Houser but wasn't able to sneak one past the Cyclone netminder, as he recorded the 30 save shutout. Jake Hildebrand finished the night stopping 17 of 20 shots while suffering the loss. Kalamazoo finished the night scoreless on two power play chances, while the Cyclones scored one goal on three chances.
Playoff tickets are on sale now! Tickets are available at the Wings Event Center Box Office or by visiting kwings.com. Kalamazoo Wings full season tickets are available now for the 2019-20 season! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 23, 2019
- Cyclones Advance to Second Round Following Shutout Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mavericks Head to Game Seven After 4-2 Loss in Game Six at Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Beat Mavs to Force Deciding Game 7 Wednesday - Tulsa Oilers
- Playoff Run Comes to End as Wings Fall in Game 6 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Round Two Schedule Announced, Growlers Face-Off against Monarchs - Newfoundland Growlers
- Monarchs Announce Schedule for North Division Finals - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Tame the Beast, Advance to Second Round - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - April 23 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 6 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cherniwchan Signs PTO with Hershey Bears - South Carolina Stingrays
- Everblades to Face Orlando in South Division Finals - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears to Face Everblades in South Division Finals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Day: K-Wings Aim to Even Series, Force Game 7 in Cincy - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.