Playoff-bound Condors prepare for Victoria
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors picked up a 6-3 triumph in the regular season finale Friday night in Las Vegas to lock up their fourth straight Kelly Cup Playoff berth. The Condors finished 7-2-0 down the stretch to overtake both Stockton and Phoenix in the National Conference standings.
The Condors finished 26-37-9 on the season with 61 points; third in the Pacific Division and seventh in the conference. They travel to Victoria, British Columbia this week to open their best-of-seven series against the Salmon Kings, who claimed the West Division title.
THIS WEEK (ALL TIMES PACIFIC):
Thursday, April 10 @ Victoria (7:05 p.m.)
Saturday, April 12 @ Victoria (7:05 p.m.)
WEEK IN REVIEW (Home team in CAPS):
Thursday, April 4
PHOENIX 4 vs. Condors 1
LW Mark Derlago scored the lone Condors goal in Phoenix Thursday night, but the RoadRunners scored once in the first and twice in the second to pace a 4-1 win. G Yutaka Fukufuji stopped 25 of 29 shots in the loss, which snapped the Condors season-best five-game winning streak.
Friday, April 5
Condors 6 vs. LAS VEGAS 3
LW Mark Derlago recorded his third hat trick of the season, including two goals in the final period, to lead the Condors to a 6-3 win over the Wranglers in the regular season finale. RW Chris Di Ubaldo, F Tim Konsorada and D Jay Langager also lit the lamp for Bakersfield, who finished their series with Las Vegas 4-5-1, including four wins in the last six meetings. The win against Vegas clinched the 7th seed in the National Conference for Bakersfield.
DERLAGO WRAPS UP RECORD SEASON IN STYLE
Condors rookie LW Mark Derlago wrapped up a memorable season in impressive fashion, notching a goal in each of his last four games, including his third hat trick of the season on Friday - the first time a Condor has ever recorded three hat tricks in a single season. Though left off the ECHL All-Rookie Team, his 39 goals led all ECHL rookies and were third overall in the league, the highest ranking ever for a Condors player as well as the highest goal total in the Condors four-year ECHL history. Derlago, who also played four games in the AHL with the Manitoba Moose (2g-3a) in March, had the third-longest goal streak in the league this season, and tied a Condors record, with seven consecutive games scoring a goal (10 goals during the streak). He put home 31 goals in his last 35 games of the season.
C Tim Konsorada and F Andrew Ianiero both finished the season having played in every game for the Condors.
Konsorada led the team with 68 points (34g-34a), Derlago had a team-high 39 goals and Ianiero, who finished with a career-high 62 points, led the team with 44 assists.
The Condors had three players finish the year with over 60 points: Konsorada (64), Lutes (62) and Ianiero (62). Derlago finished on the brink of 60 with 57 points.
G Yutaka Fukufuji finished the season playing in each of the last 13 games of the regular season for Bakersfield, and was fifth in the league in saves (1,219) this season. In the last nine games, Fukufuji went 7-2 with a 2.38 GAA and .930 save percentage.
D Kevin Truelson tied for the third most points (46) and goals (13) by a defenseman in the ECHL this season.
F Dale Reinhardt returned to Holy Cross University last weekend to finish school and receive treatment for the mouth injury he sustained on March 29. He has been placed on the Condors playoff roster to leave the option open for his return.
RW Jason Kostadine was activated from the 7-day IR today. Reinhardt was placed on the 7-day IR today and will be eligible to be activated on April 14, while LW Brett Lutes was placed on the 3-day IR today and will be eligible to be activated on April 10. D Kevin Truelson remains on the 3-day IR, though he is eligible to be activated.
UPCOMING GAMES/PLAYOFF TICKET INFO:
The Condors head to Victoria for Games 1 and 2 of the opening round of the 2008 Kelly Cup Playoffs, which start Thursday. After Game 1 on Thursday, the Condors remain in Victoria for Game 2 on Saturday before returning home for Game 3 at The Nest on Tuesday, April 15. All Condors games, home and away, can be heard live on the all-new ESPN Radio AM1230, with the "Voice of the Condors" Kevin Bartl.
Tickets for the general public will go on sale on Tuesday, Apr. 8 at 10 a.m. at the Rabobank Arena box office. Tickets may also be purchased by phone at 322-2525, online at www.bakersfieldcondors.com, or at any Ticketmaster location.
However, there's no need to wait for April 8! Playoff 4-Packs are now on sale through the Condors office, starting as low as $28. Reserve seats for the first four Condors playoff home games and get your Playoff 4-Pack today! For more information, call 324- PUCK (7825).
The Condors are also offering the "10 for $10" playoff special. Organize a group of at least 10 people to bring to a playoff game, and the tickets cost just $10 each for lower-bowl seats! The 10 for $10 apiece plans are only on sale through April 10 at 10 a.m., so be sure to call the Condors Front Office right away and set up your group!
Average Attendance - 5,628 (5th)
Power Play - 18.3% (t-10th)
Shorthanded Goals - 13 (t-5th)
Penalty Minutes - 1,758 PIM (2nd) / 24.4 PIM per game (2nd)
LW Mark Derlago - 39 goals (3rd overall / 1st rookies)
LW Mark Derlago - 13 power play goals (3rd rookies)
LW Mark Derlago - 57 points (t-13th rookies)
C Tim Konsorada - 4 shorthanded goals (t-4th)
C Tim Konsorada - 68 points (14th)
C Tim Konsorada - 6 shootout goals (t-1st)
LW Brett Lutes - 6 shootout goals (t-1st)
D Kevin Truelson - 46 points (t-3rd Defensemen)
D Kevin Truelson - 13 goals (t-3rd Defensemen)
D Kevin Truelson - 222 shots (2nd Defensemen)
D Kevin Truelson - 7 power play goals (t-5th Defensemen)
D Kevin Truelson - 3 game winning goals (t-2nd Defensemen)
D Jason Goulet - 19 major penalties (t-5th / 1st Defensemen)
G Yutaka Fukufuji - 1,219 saves (5th)
Points- C Tim Konsorada (68)
Goals- LW Mark Derlago (39)
Assists- F Andrew Ianiero (44)
Games- Konsorada, Ianiero (72)
PIMs- D Jason Goulet (179)
Plus/Minus- D Kevin Truelson (+9)
Wins- G Yutaka Fukufuji (18)
GAA- Fukufuji (3.39)
Save Percentage- Fukufuji (.899)
Season tickets for the 2008-09 Condors season are on sale now at the Condors office, located at 1001 Truxtun Avenue. For more information, contact the office at 324-PUCK (7825) or go to www.bakersfieldcondors.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2008
- 2008 Kelly Cup Playoff Rosters - ECHL
- National Conference Champs Start Cup Run With Stockton This Friday - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Salmon Kings Announce Playoff Roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Royals Announce 2008 ECHL Playoff Roster - Reading Royals
- Playoff Roster Announced - Farynuk, Almtorp, Goulet Return From Springfield - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Playoff Roster Set - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Release 2008 Playoff Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Playoff-bound Condors prepare for Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- South Division Playoffs Start Tuesday - ECHL
- Berti Is 355th Player To Play In NHL After ECHL - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Starling Is Rbk Hockey Plus Performer - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - Apr. 7 - ECHL
- Khudobin's Return Highlights Recent Transactions - Texas Wildcatters
- Cincinnati's Desharnais Wins ECHL Scoring Title - ECHL
- Inferno Receive Doig, Tsimikalis And Wellar - Columbia Inferno
- Chiefs Playoff Parade A Success - Johnstown Chiefs
- Desharnais Earns ECHL's Leading Scorer Honors - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Starling Named Rbk Hockey Plus Performer Of The Year - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Weekly Arrowhead #24 - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL This Week - Apr. 7 - Divisions - ECHL
- Dakers, Miller Return To AHL - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Former Pilots Winger Berti Gets Weekend Call To NHL - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Logan's Roadhouse To Host Falcons Playoff Rally On Thursday - Fresno Falcons
- Bombers Weekly - Dayton Bombers
- Stewart Is 354th Player To Play In NHL After ECHL - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Augusta Lynx Weekly - Augusta Lynx
- Let the Games Begin.... - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Drive For Playoff Berth Falls Short - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Cyclones Clinch Brabham Cup! - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Parley Named RBC Financial Group ECHL Saver Of The Month! - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ice Pilots Weekly (April 7-13) - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Stingrays' Parley Named RBC Financial Group Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Rays Finish Regular Season with 7-Game Winning Streak - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Start Official Blue Jersey Online Auction - Dayton Bombers
- Leading goal-scorer Aaron Slattengren returns to Lynx for playoff run - Augusta Lynx
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- Checkers Weekly - Charlotte Checkers
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.