ELMIRA, NY - The Elmira Jackals, proud member of the ECHL, picked up one win in three contests in wrapping up its inaugural regular season in the ECHL last week with a record of 41-24-3-4. The Jackals' 89 points were good enough to claim second place in the North Division and earn home ice advantage in their first ever ECHL Kelly Cup playoff series against the Reading Royals.
Overall: 41-24-3-4 (89 pts.) 2nd North Division/5th American Conference/9th Overall Last Week: 1-2-0-0 (2 pts.)
Wednesday, April 2nd - v. TRENTON (2-3 L) Att: 3,238 Shots: 36-26 ELM PP: 1/6 PK: 5/5
The Jackals dropped their second straight Wednesday night affair to the Devils as STEPHEN WOOD drilled home the game-winner with 3:53 left in the game to give Trenton the victory. The Jackals' top line of CHAZ JOHNSON (1+1=2), PIERRE-LUC FAUBERT (1+1=2) and BENOIT DOUCET (0+2=2) accounted for all of Elmira's offense.
Friday, April 4th - @ TRENTON (1-3 L) Att: 3,784 Shots: 37-24 TRE PP: 0/6 PK: 5/5
Outshot 21-2 in the first period, the Jackals couldn't shake a slow start and dropped their third in a row to the Devils in the club's final road game of the regular season. PIERRE-LUC FAUBERT netted the loan Elmira goal, his 31st of the year to tie BENOIT DOUCET for the club lead.
Saturday, April 5th - vs. WHEELING (6-1 W) Att: 4,104 sellout Shots: 39-24 ELM PP: 2/3 PK: 5/5
MAXIME BOISCLAIR scored once and set up four other goals for a club record five-point night to spark the Jackals to their 41st win of the year in the regular season finale for both clubs. ELGIN REID netted a pair of goals and one assist while TREVOR HENDRIKX matched his personal best with his second three-assist performance of the year. JOEL MARTIN won for the 27th time this season in stopping 23 of 24 shots.
This Week: Friday, April 11th - v. READING 7:35 p.m. First Arena
Game #1 - North Division Semifinals
White Out Night/Williams Scion T-Shirt Giveaway (first 2,500 fans)
Saturday, April 12th - @ READING 7:05 p.m. Sovereign Center
Game #2 - North Division Semifinals
In a hotly contested regular season series, the Royals took six of the 11 meetings with the results fairly skewed towards home ice success. Elmira was 4-1 at First Arena while Reading posted a 5-1 mark at Sovereign Center making the Jackals' 2nd place finish in the North Division potentially significant as this series unfolds. BENOIT DOUCET led the Jackals in points (12) and assists (8) in the season series while the Royals spread the wealth around. Three different skaters netted four goals each (BROCK HOOTON, CHARLIE KRONSCHNABEL, CHRIS BLIGHT) while HOOTON, BLIGHT and DANY ROUSSIN totaled nine points each. The season set featured three of the games going to overtime with the home club taking all three decisions (Elmira 1-2). Overall, the 11 games featured 11 different players scoring game-winning goals for their respective clubs. CHAZ JOHNSON picked up 107 of his team-leading 250 penalty minutes (42.8%) against the Royals in just eight games.
Series Result to Date
4-Nov ELM 3 @ REA 5
24-Nov REA 1 @ ELM 4
14-Dec REA 4 @ ELM 5 ot
26-Dec ELM 3 @ REA 4 ot
2-Jan ELM 7 @ REA 3
2-Feb REA 2 @ ELM 5
Power Play Goals
9-Feb ELM 1 @ REA 7
20-Feb ELM 2 @ REA 3 ot
Five with (1) each
Six with (1) each
12-Mar ELM 3 @ REA 4
14-Mar REA 3 @ ELM 6
21-Mar REA 2 @ ELM 0
Jackals Bites: - The Jackals finished their first season in the ECHL having had 62 different players appear in at least one contest for the club...Elmira led the ECHL in shorthanded goals allowed with #19 occurring Friday night in Trenton in Game #71 of the season...Saturday's game was witnessed by 4,104 fans at First Arena, the 14th sellout of the year and fifth crowd over 4,000 this season....Maxime Bosiclair set two Jackals ECHL standards (most points/game - 5...most assists/game - 4) in Saturday's 6-1 over Wheeling...Following an 8-game pointless streak (11/16 - 11/28), rookie BENOIT DOUCET scored points in 42 of his final 52 games and finished with a team-high 83 points...DOUCET also led the Jackals with 52 assists and 11 power play goals while sharing the club's goal-scoring lead (31) with fellow rookie PIERRE-LUC FAUBERT...LUKE FULGHUM, out of the line-up since 2/23/08 with mononucleosis, returned to action Saturday and scored a goal (15) in his return in the win over Wheeling.
Jackals Final Regular Season Leaders: Goals - BENOIT DOUCET/PIERRE-LUC FAUBERT 31...Assists - DOUCET 52...
Points - DOUCET 83...PIM - CHAZ JOHNSON 250...
Goalie Wins - JOEL MARTIN 27...PPG - DOUCET 11...SHG - FULGHUM 4...
GWG - ROBINS 6
Streaking into Game #1 of the Kelly Cup Playoffs: Goals - Shawn Weller 3 (3); Points - Benoit Doucet 6 (3+6=9), Luke Fulghum 2 (1+1=2), Weller 3 (3+3=6).
Jackals Amongst ECHL Leaders: Joel Martin - 27 wins (3rd), 2,795 minutes played (2nd), 5 shootout wins (t-1st) ...Pierre-Luc Faubert - 5 shootout goals (t-3rd overall/t-1st rookies), 76 points (t-8th overall/5th rookies), 31 goals (t-5th rookies), +29 (4th rookies)...Benoit Doucet - 83 points (t-4th overall/3rd rookies), 31 goals (t-5th rookies), 52 assists (t-4th overall/2nd rookies)...Chaz Johnson 250 PIM (5th), 60 minors (5th)...Bobby Robins 63 minors (4th)...Luke Fulghum - 4 shorthanded goals (t-4th)...Tomas Kudleka - 3 game-winning goals (t-2nd defensemen)...Shawn Weller 100% shootout percentage (t-1st rookies).
Ranking the Jackals
4.06 - Cincinnati
2.46 - Texas
35.97 - Texas
28.43 - Cincinnati
25.56 - Elmira
Power Play %
71/404 17.6% (12th)
22.2% - Cincinnati
Penalty Kill %
365/437 83.5% (10th)
87.0% - Gwinnett
Shorthanded goals for
15 - South Carolina/Victoria
Shorthanded goals against
2 - Las Vegas
Shootout % for
19/46 41.3% (2nd)
47.8% - Alaska
Shootout % against
14/46 30.4% (13th)
17.2% - South Carolina
6,648 - Stockton
Jackals On the Air: All Kelly Cup playoffs games will air live on MAGIC FM (92.7/97.7) beginning with the Hill Top Inn Countdown to Face-Off 30 minutes prior to game time. A free audio stream and a pay-per-view video stream are available at www.jackalshockey.com. The team's weekly Coach's Show air on select Mondays throughout the playoffs as the schedule allows. Shows will air from 6 p.m. - 7 p.m. on NewsTalk 1230/1450 live from O'Ryans Sports Bar & Grill, 159 Prescott Avenue - Elmira Heights. The next edition of the Coach's Show will be Monday, April 14th.
On-Ice This Week (subject to change) Radio/TV airtime
Monday, April 7th 10:30 a.m. Practice - First Arena Rec Rink
Tuesday, April 8th 10:30 a.m. Practice - First Arena Rec Rink
Wednesday, April 9th 10:30 a.m. Practice - First Arena
Thursday, April 10th 10:30 a.m. Practice - First Arena
Friday, April 11th 10:00 a.m. Morning skate - First Arena
7:35 p.m. JACKALS v. READING MAGIC-FM 7:05 p.m.
Saturday, April 12th 7:05 p.m. JACKALS @ READING MAGIC-FM 6:35 p.m.
Sunday, April 13th ~To Be Announced~
Tickets for all Jackals playoff games may be purchased in person at the Gray Street box office at First Arena (10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, Saturdays 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.), Ticketmaster charge-by-phone at 722-3711, on-line at www.ticketmaster.com and by calling 734-PUCK (7825).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 7, 2008
- 2008 Kelly Cup Playoff Rosters - ECHL
- National Conference Champs Start Cup Run With Stockton This Friday - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Salmon Kings Announce Playoff Roster - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Royals Announce 2008 ECHL Playoff Roster - Reading Royals
- Playoff Roster Announced - Farynuk, Almtorp, Goulet Return From Springfield - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Playoff Roster Set - Elmira Jackals
- Gladiators Release 2008 Playoff Roster - Atlanta Gladiators
- Playoff-bound Condors prepare for Victoria - Bakersfield Condors
- South Division Playoffs Start Tuesday - ECHL
- Berti Is 355th Player To Play In NHL After ECHL - ECHL
- Cincinnati's Starling Is Rbk Hockey Plus Performer - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - Apr. 7 - ECHL
- Khudobin's Return Highlights Recent Transactions - Texas Wildcatters
- Cincinnati's Desharnais Wins ECHL Scoring Title - ECHL
- Inferno Receive Doig, Tsimikalis And Wellar - Columbia Inferno
- Chiefs Playoff Parade A Success - Johnstown Chiefs
- Desharnais Earns ECHL's Leading Scorer Honors - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Starling Named Rbk Hockey Plus Performer Of The Year - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Weekly Arrowhead #24 - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL This Week - Apr. 7 - Divisions - ECHL
- Dakers, Miller Return To AHL - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Former Pilots Winger Berti Gets Weekend Call To NHL - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Logan's Roadhouse To Host Falcons Playoff Rally On Thursday - Fresno Falcons
- Bombers Weekly - Dayton Bombers
- Stewart Is 354th Player To Play In NHL After ECHL - ECHL
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Augusta Lynx Weekly - Augusta Lynx
- Let the Games Begin.... - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Kelly Cup Quest Daily - South Carolina Stingrays
- Drive For Playoff Berth Falls Short - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Cyclones Clinch Brabham Cup! - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- Parley Named RBC Financial Group ECHL Saver Of The Month! - South Carolina Stingrays
- Ice Pilots Weekly (April 7-13) - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Stingrays' Parley Named RBC Financial Group Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Rays Finish Regular Season with 7-Game Winning Streak - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bombers Start Official Blue Jersey Online Auction - Dayton Bombers
- Leading goal-scorer Aaron Slattengren returns to Lynx for playoff run - Augusta Lynx
- Inferno Weekly - Columbia Inferno
- Checkers Weekly - Charlotte Checkers
- Gladiators Weekly - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.