Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Win over Altoona
The SeaWolves opened up a weekend series with a 3-1 win over the Altoona Curve on Friday night at People's Natural Gas Field.
Altoona struck first in the last of the second against Erie starter A.J. Ladwig. Stephen Alemais led off with a triple and he scored on a Logan Hill sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
The SeaWolves tied the game in the third against Curve starter James Marvel. Cam Gibson led off with a double and moved to third on a Sergio Alcantara sacrifice bunt. Willi Castro singled home Gibson to make it a 1-1 game.
The game remained tied until the top of the seventh when the SeaWolves took their first lead of the night. Jake Rogers led off and was hit by a pitch. Rogers, on a hit-and-run, moved from first to third on a groundout by Isaac Paredes. Danny Woodrow singled home Rogers for a 2-1 Erie lead.
The SeaWolves added an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning against reliever Yeudy Garcia. Isaac Paredes led off with a double down the left field line. With two outs, Alcantara laced an opposite-field double that squeaked fair down the left field line, plating Paredes for a 3-1 lead.
John Schrieber, who got out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth inning, retired the side in order in the ninth, earning his 16th save of the season.
Ladwig (4-0) earned the win for Erie. It was his fourth win in his past five starts. Ladwig allowed a run on 10 hits with a walk and four strikeouts in 6.1 innings.
Marvel (0-1) took the loss for the Curve allowing two runs on six hits with two walks and five strikeouts in 6.2 innings.
The SeaWolves and Curve meet in doubleheader action on Saturday at PNG Field at 4:30 p.m. Righty Alfred Gutierrez (2-1, 3.71 ERA) takes the mound for Erie in game one against RHP Luis Escobar (2-0, 4.87 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 10, 2018
- 'Dogs Win 10-9 for the Second Straight Game - Portland Sea Dogs
- Marvel Shines in Debut, Curve Bats Go Silent in Loss - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Get Better of RubberDucks in Hitting Duel - Akron RubberDucks
- Pinch-Hit Walkoff Gives Fightins Sixth Straight Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Win over Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- League-Best 'Cats Inch Closer to Playoff Berth - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Randolph Lifts off to Spoil Ponies' Late Push - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Strike Down Senators 10-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Zipped by Zeuch; 'Cats Take Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rodriguez Lifts Baysox to Come from Behind Win - Bowie Baysox
- Three Home Runs Power Thunder to Victory - Trenton Thunder
- No Relief as Sox Undress Los Chivos - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #117 - Rumble Ponies (55-61) at Fightin Phils (55-60) - 7:15 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 10th at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Broadcaster Jim Clark to Sign "Rally 'Round Cleveland - the Story of the 1974 Franchise-Saving Cleveland Indians" Saturday - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Pro Golfer Woody Austin to Throw First Pitch - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.