Sea Dogs Get Better of RubberDucks in Hitting Duel
Portland's Bobby Dalbec swatted a long RBI single in the ninth inning, snapping a 9-9 tie, and leading the Sea Dogs to a 10-9 win over the Akron RubberDucks in the opener of a three-game series Friday night at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio.
The Sea Dogs (48-67) picked up three consecutive hits to start the ninth off Argenis Angulo (2-4) to take the lead. Johnny Bladel and Michael Chavis put immediate pressure on with singles. Bladec,, who has a combined, 30 homers between High-A and the Sea Dogs, belted a single off the wall in right, scoring Bladel to give Portland a 10-9 lead. It was Dalbec's seventh RBI since being promoted to Double-A.
No pitcher was safe or immune to damage. The teams combined for eight wild pitches and 13 walks. Akron used five relievers after starter Sean Brady gave up six runs in four innings. Portland's Josh Taylor (2-4) picked up the win in relief with 2.2 scoreless innings, although he was charged with a blown save after allowing the tying run to score in the Akron seventh.
The RubberDucks (66-51) scored five times, taking advantage of four walks by Portland starter Daniel McGrath, in the third inning to take a 5-1 lead. Portland came back with five in the fourth, including a three-run homer by Austin Rei, to take a 6-5 lead. The Ducks tied the game, 6-6, in the sixth on a run-scoring single by Gian Paul Gonzalez, his first Double-A hit. Portland forged ahead with three in the seventh off Kieran Lovegrove, powered by a two-run homer by Jordan Betts, but Akron rallied to tie it, 9-9, with three in the bottom of the seventh. Ka'ai Tom's two-run single off Taylor knotted the score.
Akron lost its fifth straight game, but did not lose ground in the EL West race as Altoona lost at home to Erie, 3-1...Thus, Akron still holds a three-game lead with 23 to play...Six Ducks pitchers combined for a season-high, 15 strikeouts...Tom was 3-4, on the night...Outfielder Jodd Carter made his Double-A debut for Akron and went 0-4...Time of game: 3:26... Attendance: 6,921.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Sea Dogs will play the middle game of the series on Saturday night at 7:05. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 10, 2018
- 'Dogs Win 10-9 for the Second Straight Game - Portland Sea Dogs
- Marvel Shines in Debut, Curve Bats Go Silent in Loss - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Get Better of RubberDucks in Hitting Duel - Akron RubberDucks
- Pinch-Hit Walkoff Gives Fightins Sixth Straight Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Pitching Dominates in 3-1 Win over Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- League-Best 'Cats Inch Closer to Playoff Berth - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Randolph Lifts off to Spoil Ponies' Late Push - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Strike Down Senators 10-1 - Harrisburg Senators
- Squirrels Zipped by Zeuch; 'Cats Take Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rodriguez Lifts Baysox to Come from Behind Win - Bowie Baysox
- Three Home Runs Power Thunder to Victory - Trenton Thunder
- No Relief as Sox Undress Los Chivos - Hartford Yard Goats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #117 - Rumble Ponies (55-61) at Fightin Phils (55-60) - 7:15 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 10th at Akron - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Broadcaster Jim Clark to Sign "Rally 'Round Cleveland - the Story of the 1974 Franchise-Saving Cleveland Indians" Saturday - Akron RubberDucks
- Game Notes vs. Altoona - Erie SeaWolves
- Pro Golfer Woody Austin to Throw First Pitch - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.